PDA

View Full Version : "oc" message on the VFD display...

valcah
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi, I'm have a ShopBot "buddy", when I tried to warming up the spindle, I received an "OC" message on the VFD display, I read the technical documents about this error message, but I can't resolve it.
Somebody can help me?

thanks.

carlcnc
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Hugo
my first assumption is O[ver]C[urrent]
one way to prove this is to make your acceleration time about twice what it is now,I have a 3hp,5hp,and 7.5 hp,
all are set to 4sec accel .
also set your to decel to no less than 7sec.
If it turns out my assumption is wrong, all my vfd manf [4 different brands]have 24/7 support by phone and are usually very courteous and helpful
Carl

valcah
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes Carl, you are right, "OC" mean overcurrent.
I found the fault description on the VFD manuals, there talk about the accel and the decel. I set the values like you told me, but the message persist.
This message have various causes, another is "Short circuit at drive output side". have you an idea about it? What is the DRIVE?

carlcnc
04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Hugo
I don't know which VFD you have or what spindle, if the spindle came with your machine from Shopbot seems like they would be the ones to give you an answer and how to resolve it.
Is this a new to you machine? or have you been using it for a while and this problem just showed up?
IF you have used it succesfully in the past then I would be calling Shopbot .
If it always trips immediately ,
It is possible a short has developed between the outputs on the drive and the spindle.
definitely email or call Shopbot for some help. before something bad happens.
good luck
CArl

valcah
04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok Carl, I aprecciate your help, I'll follow your advice.

Thanks again.

bleeth
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Hugo: You should put a meter on your power feed to the VFD. In my shop the power supplied by the electrical company on our 3 phase is actually more than it is supposed to be. This results in more power and blew out a circuit board on our edgebander. We had to put in a transformer to step the power down to proper levels. The difference was not enough to mess with our VFD but if it was much more it would have.