PDA

View Full Version : EnRout 3 and an old PRT

letterman7
09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Hello folks! I've finally joined the ranks of the official newbie Botter with an older (circa 2000) PRT bot and a copy of Enroute 3. Now, I'm reasonably familiar with ER, as I've worked with it in the past in a previous life. I'm not, however, familiar with Botting in general...I've been able to keyboard move the gantry around the table and getting to learn the system. I'm currently working in the DOS version, as the Windows version downloadable on the website keeps giving me an error code (ActiveX component can't creat object).
However, I'm more interested in finding out the settings for the ER for the communications port. I don't want to sit and guess at the baud rates, parity etc, etc...what I'd like to do is drive the router straight from EnRoute and avoid the DOS setup altogether. I'm assuming that this is possible with the correct comm setup, right? One of the options for the comm setup is the comm driver, which gives choices like Ccutters, CGerber, Gcode, HPGL ect. Again, assuming nothing, that should be set on HPGL?
If there is someone local to the Philly area that is running Enroute, I'd certainly like to chat!
Thanks!!
Rick

thewoodcrafter
09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't know anything about Enroute but I don't think you can run the Bot from it.
You need to generate code from DXF file, I assume Enroute does that.
Then you call up that file in the ShopBot control software and run it.
Will Enroute generate ShopBot code or just G code?

ljdm
09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Probably easier to import the files into SB control software, let it convert to sbp files and run them. Least thats what I did with DOS version and Artcam. Although DOS and Win version handle improts basically the same. Unless I'm wrong, I didn't think you could run the 'Bot without SB control software?

letterman7
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out. On the site here, there is a SB driver for Enroute which will produce the SB code. I was experimenting a little while ago, and tried sending a file from ER to the bot, and the bot actually gave a little hum from the motors, but nothing happened...which oddly gave me a little hope. But without the correct I/O settings for the comm port, that's all I may get.

ljdm
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Still not understanding....... if you have it producing SB code - you would use SB v2.? to run the Bot. I don't recall needing i/o settings, basically I just named which comm port to use. To recap - if you have Enroute produce a file, open it in SB v2(DOS ver numbers), SB setup asks which comm port, from there what happens? Actually, same procedure with SB ver 3. if using windows version. Sorry for confusion, just trying to figure out what program you are using for what purpose - Enroute for design and control, or Enroute for design and SB for control.

letterman7
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Ah..sorry for not being clear enough. I'd like to avoid using the SB for the controller. I'm so used to working out of ER I'd like to keep it that way - design and execute right from ER. But what ER is requiring is the correct port settings for the machine...which I don't know.

zeykr
09-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I think you need to use the SB post for enroute to produce shopbot code, then use SB control software to read it. Don't think Enroute will directly run the machine. I think it does have DNC (Distributed Numeric Control) in it which will send the file directly to a machine conroller such as a fanuc, but that's what the SB control software provides - the same function as the fanuc conroller.

letterman7
09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Ken, you're talking a little above my level with 'fanuc', but I get the gist. EnRoute has built into the package the ability to run more than a few dozen machines, which I believe is called open source? With the addition of the SB driver software, I had believed that it would then run the Bot as well...but Bot's aren't open source, are they?

bcammack
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
This is how I understand it to work based on observation.

The SB software interprets the high-level program code and streams explicit movement and control primitives to the control board that runs the drivers that run the stepper motors and relays of the ShopBot hardware.

I don't believe that the primitives are a published specification and are more than likely considered proprietary. Otherwise, in theory, somebody could come up with a board design that can be driven by the sb3.exe software and be sold cheaper because they didn't have to amortize software development costs.

I could find nothing at the Enroute website to make me think it could do more than just generate high-level program code for the ShopBot and I've never heard any mention here of anything besides the ShopBot control (sb3.exe) software driving a ShopBot cnc machine.

That being said, welcome aboard!

I suspect that everyone here doesn't mind too much having to shift the output file from their CAD/CAM software over to the ShopBot control software for execution on the 'bot. We have to do the same here with our $100,000 Omag and Northwood CNC machines as well, except we use GibbsCAM, not Enroute for them.

zeykr
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Rick, all CNC machines have a controller that actually moves the motors. On many high end machines it's built in and you just see a little screen or interface. A GE Fanuc controller is a commonly integrated high end CNC controller but is very expensive. Shopbot uses a PC and their shopbot control software to take the place of this expensivie dedicated controller. Mach 3 is another similar control software that uses the same principle of using a standard pc as a controller instead of a dedicated - high dollar controller.

In large CNC shops with the big (expensive) controllers they often have several of the same type of machine. In these shops the code (g-code which is very similar to shopbot code) is often stored on a central computer so the machines can request the desired program from the central controller or the central controller can push a progran down to one of the machine. This is called DNC or Distributed Numeric Control - it's rs232 serial based on older machines though newer ones use ethernet or wireless networking. I think this is what Enroute is providing - a way to download the g-code or shopbot code to a machine controller that is watching for it. The PC and SB3 are this controller for a shopbot.

hope that long description dosen't make it worse. Short version is you have to use the PC and shopbot control software. You can upgrade to a windows version though.

letterman7
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Ken, that makes a little more sense now. I was very used to a high end CNC router that operated directly from EnRoute. I sent the drawing/layout, the 'start' button on the CNC pendant started to flash and I hit go, and away the machine went. All functions, spindle control, speeds etc. were delivered via EnRoute.

The problem I'm having with the Windows version is I can't get it to open without an error code!

R

zeykr
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Check drshopbot.com and/or call support and they'll get you going.

letterman7
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Tried that...and have an email into tech since early yeaterday. So far, no response.

letterman7
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Small update: got rid of the EnRoute and installed Vectric. Seems to have cleared most, if not all of the issues and am currently cutting my first part file!