PDA

View Full Version : SBEdit in read only mode...

harryball
09-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Any time I open a file SBEdit goes into read only mode. I've checked the files themselves and they are not read only.

I can create a new file from scratch, as soon as I save it the first time it changes to read only mode. Ideas?

Robert

paco
09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Same here... if you got spare time, you can troubleshoot or;

NotePad

Ryan P.'s SBeditor.

For assembly purposes, Bill Y.'s File assembler.

harold_weber
09-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, I've noticed that same behavior on the ShopBot PC.

However, my design PC does NOT have this problem, and they both are running WINDOWS XP SP2 and ShopBot 3.4.26.

Like Paco, I get around this problem by using other editors, which don't think the files are read only.

harryball
09-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Funny... I checked, my bot PC is fine it's my design PC that's read only. I too have been using a different editor to get around it. Both are running XP Pro newest release with all updates and patches applied. v 3.4.26 on both.

Robert

trakwebster
09-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm no windows guru. But is there any possibility you are logging into these systems? Or specifically, that sometimes you are one user and sometimes you are some other user?

This kind of thing is much more common on unix/linux systems, but 'ownership' of the file can make it read only to other folks.

harryball
09-20-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm the root/administrator/head guru/top guy/big cahoona or however you want to say it on both systems.

But to dispel that myth, if you create a file you own it. I can open SBEdit and create a new file with a Save or Save As and it become read only as soon as it's saved.

Robert

Brady Watson
09-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Robert...are you running Win2k by any chance or is it XP?

If you have Client Services for NetWare installed on your Windows XP-based or Windows 2000-based computer that can cause it as well. If you are not running a Novell network, you might as well uninstall it.

-B

harold_weber
09-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Brady, if one has "Client Services for Netware" installed, does it show up in the list of programs when one starts "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel? If yes, the its not on my affected machine.
The only programs that show up there for me are Paint Shop Pro, Part Wizard, ShopBot 3 for PRT, and something called Windows Installer 3.1

Brady Watson
09-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Harold,
You have to go to the Network Neighborhood or to the network listing in the device manager to get the properties of your network card. When you get the dialog box that shows the properties of your network card and it lists TCP/IP etc etc, See if NetWare is in there...It won't be in the programs list.

-B

harold_weber
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
OK, I'm drilling down to where I think you mean as follows:
START/Settings/Control Panel/Network Connections
The only "LAN or High Speed Internet" Connection showing is "Local Area Connection"

Double click "Local Area Connection" and then click "Properties"

I get the following window which does not show "Client Services for Netware"

So that does not seem to be the problem, right?

Brady Watson
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Right...

harryball
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm not running netware anything. Both systems are configured the same for networking from what I can tell. I am running the MS Network client and do talk to the bot PC via the network to save files for cutting etc...

Robert

bill.young
10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
An updated ShopBot Editor with a fix for this Read-only problem has been posted in ShopBot Labs...if you have a computer that has this problem please download the update and help us test it out.

Take me to the Editor update (http://www.shopbottools.com/files/LabFiles/sbEditor.htm)

Bill