PDA

View Full Version : Driver/Motor Fault! Location?? stops cutting the file, need some help.

jelpspeed
07-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi Guys

I have a PRT Alpha for about a year, and have never experienced any problems using it, but now it is stopping suddenly during jobs, it doesnīt loose the position in any axis, but I need to push the restart button in the shopbot box, and then click RESUME in the computer, so it can finish the job.

Here is a screen capture of the problem, any ideas?

thanks in advance from Mexico.

beacon14
07-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Your prox switches may be triggering falsely. This is a problem which has bugged many people over the years. You can use the VN command to turn off the limit switch function and see if that solves it. If so you can just run with limit switching off, or consider replacing the prox switches.

richards
07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
The Alpha motor drivers sense motion. If step pulses are sent to the stepper driver but the encoder does not send count pulses, the stepper driver will send a "fault" signal. Depending on your settings, the delay before the fault signal is sent could be about 1/2 second. Verify that you are not overloading the motors.

Gary Campbell
07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Ever... what version of the SB3 software are you running? Have you changed this lately?

I have also experienced the same problem at non repeatable times and locations in cutting files. Like the positions shown on Ever's posts, my coordinates are well within the confines of the physical cutting borders.

I did take the time to check to make sure that none of the axes were near the end of motion that would "normally" result in a motor fault. I also checked to see if any of the (4) prox were near the trigger bolt. Both were negative. I am also using jumpers over the OEM eStop switch contacts in an effort to reduce erroneous eStop Hits.
Gary

jelpspeed
07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi David

I will check the prox switches, but this is happening in the cutting area, not even near the limits, thatīs why Iīm really confused.

Mike,
how can I check If Iīm overloading the motors?

the weird thing is that I didnīt made any changes to software or anything, it started suddenly yesterday, but on wednesday I cutted normally as I do everyday, the problem started yesterday.

Gary, I will check the version of my software this afternoon and let you know.

Thanks guys, I hope this can be solved quickly, because next week I will be producing some projects for a customer.

Best regards

Ever

beacon14
07-04-2009, 06:39 AM
If it is a problem with the switches it can happen anywhere, not just near the limits. There have been issues with the switches false triggering due to ground problems, static electricity, or just plain worn out switches. I had the same problem and ended up making a homemade switch.

It is easy to turn off limit switching. If the problem persists then you can rule out the switches as a cause. If the problem goes away, well, there ya go.

bleeth
07-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Ever: I notice you have V-carve pro open in the background. It is not a great idea to have any other software running while cutting on the same computer. You should turn off all other programs and go into your start file and turn everything off there as well. Your problem could be caused by a loss of communication between your computer and the control box. Although this should trigger a different warning screen I wouldn't rule it out.

butch
07-04-2009, 10:15 AM
ever
I noticed that there was a yellow line, on switch #3. I wasn't getting a motor fault (well did once) but I was getting a limit switch failure. Ed at Shopbot had me go to Values/iNput/output switch and turn 'Limit On/Off' to off. That cleared the yellow line, and the error went away.
I got this after upgrading to 3.6.1.

You should call ShopBot, as I am not totaly certain what I exactly turned off.

Butch

jelpspeed
07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi Guys

I just recovered from a stomach disease that kept me in bed, but Iīm back with my shopbot problems.

My software is the 3.4.1 version.

I looked at the yellow line on switch 3, but donīt know how to turn the switches off, I tried the Values, and the N option, but canīt find the correct option to turn it off.
I hope you can help me switch them off.

Thanks in advance

Ever

beacon14
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Not sure how much has changed since 3.4 but when you type VN you should get a fill-in sheet, one of the lines will say Limits On/Off. Select 0-Off instead of 1-On.

bleeth
07-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Correct Dave-You can also do it through the SO command

tellme
12-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Were you able to get this problem figured out. I have a 5 x 10 prt alpha and am having the same problem. have tried everything the boys at shopbot can come up with. Getting ready to spend 2k having them come out to fix it. I have tried all the ideas you have all suggested and nothing. It will run for 1/2 hour one time and 5 seconds the next. the machine stops and lifts out of the work. Never the same place, never the same similarities. Dust collection on, off, not connected, stop switch by passed, limits off. Been three weeks now and i can't get it figured out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks