PDA

View Full Version : Hold down system for Benchtop 32

phd1658
07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I know it isn't the world's most sophisticated system, but it works and fits my budget! The clamping system consists of 4 flat bar pieces of aluminum (.5" thick)each of which has slots, four small toggle clamps, four metal tabs (on either side of the x axis). The members running in the y direction are bolted to the table (see pic w/the knobs under the table). The members running in the x direction slide up and down in the y member's slots. It does decrease my surface area from 32"x24" down to 26"x24", but most of the pieces I work on are considerably smaller. Besides, I can take the clamping jig on and off in about 5 minutes. I also added a tension reel I am using to keep the dust hose up (this replaced my swing chain) as well as a Shopsmith work light held in place with a magnet. The clamping project cost me about $2 in hardware.......every thing else came out of other people's scrap piles!

Any suggestions for improvement will be most welcome.

Bill Munroe

robert_marks
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Bill, I also have a bench top that I have modified. I attached a larger mdf sub panel just below my spoil board to keep some of the cut material from building up under the machine. This does affect the cut size and you may be able to attach your hold down to this. I have included a picture, seems to work well for me. Good Luck.

phd1658
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Robert. I just got around to greasing my pinion rack below the table and was wondering what I could do to keep the sawdust out of the grease. Looks like your exteded sub table would largely take care of that as well as provide additional room for clamping.

I'm trying to figure out from your picture what you are doing to keep your cables out of the way. Is the black hose for dust collection or do you have your cables routed through it?

My next big project is going to be "boxing in" the BT along with the dust collector. I've got my machine in the basement and while my saint of a wife hasn't complained, I know if it is bothering me, it has to be bothering her!

robert_marks
08-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Bill, I also have my ShopBot in the basement so I know the noise is a real problem. As far as the cables they are in a e-chain that run along the back of the machine. The original arch broke several times and was no longer worth repairing. So far this fix has worked out nicely. The EChain and mounting brackets from McMaster-Carr. I found some 4” track used in steal wall construction at H Depot (Less than $5 dollars for 12ft) and installed it as a support platform on the back of the unit. I used the original mounting hardware from the arch to attach the top mount of the Echain. Total cost of EChain conversion $140.

Brackets # 55835K124 Energy Chain #55835K593 ( I think #55835K591 is the same Chain)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#55835k593/=3dm272

The black hose behind the unit is dust collection and is connected to a Fein vac that sits behind the unit. The dust collector next to the unit collects from the rest of my shop, I could have also used it for the ShopBot but I think I get better collection from the Fein. As you can see I don’t have a dust foot, instead I use a positional pipe and vac nozzle that works well for me and is easy to move to change bits.

Good Luck.

RM

phd1658
08-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Robert, thank you so much for the web link and additional pictures. They help a lot. I have already been thinking about echain, as it would definitely make it easier to "box in" the machine! Will post again when I get it all together.