PDA

View Full Version : Router does not turn on

mnrite
06-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I just set up my bot and learning the basics, can I turn the router on and off with the keyboard. I have moved the router around some and run the "shopbotlogo" file, but the PC router itself has never come on. I don't know if there is something wrong or I need to type a command. The router is turned on at the router.

Thanks
Mike

bjenkins
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Mike I had a similar experience when I upgraded to the alpha-- suddenly the router control is more than a switch. First make sure that you have the router switched on and plugged into the controlled relay. Then...

Ok, here's how router control works. Basically, the first thing that has to happen is that output 1 must be on. Second, the machine must be commanded to move or be able to potentially move - that is, you have to load a part file, give the machine a move command, or put it in keyboard control mode. In the first two cases - loading a part file or issuing a move command, you will get a prompt to press the start button and confirm that the router is up to speed before continuing, if you are in keyboard mode the start button will be enabled but there will be no prompt. In our advanced toolpathing softwares, we are setting it up so that it will write a command to turn output 1 on at the beginning, then turn it off at the end. If you are using a toolpathing software that doesn't have this feature yet (like PartWizard), then you can just turn the output on manually, it wil stay on until it is told to turn off. Consequently you will get the prompt to turn your router on at the beginning of part files and moves. The command is quite simple:

SO,1,1

This code means "Set Output" - the first parameter is which switch (1), the second parameter is which state (0=off, 1=on). What you do is type in SO, fill in the sheet that comes up, then load your part files as before. A prompt dialog box will appear on your computer screen. When the prompt to turn the router on comes up, just hit the start button. At the end of the file, the router should shut off, but the output will remain on.

That should fix you up.

mnrite
06-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks Bud,

So can I manually just turn the router on,"type SO,1,1" and then how would I turn it off? I just want to test the wiring and make sure it works.

Thanks
Mike

paco
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Mike!

If you go into "K" mode (S-K), you should be able to turn it on by clicking output switche #1... to turning it off, re-click output switche #1...

paco
06-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Mike,

from a file control; SO,1,1 to turn it on and SO,1,0 to turn it off... this should work too if you type it in the comand line... I believe...

beacon14
06-05-2005, 12:39 AM
just typing SO,1,1 doesn't turn on the router...you have to then make a move or run a file at which time you'll get the prompt to press the green button on the control box then hit enter to continue, or something like that. When entering moves manually using Move,Jog, or Cut commands, you will get the prompt each time you enter a command that would cause the machine to move, then the router will turn off after the move. You have to press the green button to turn the router on for each move. (Of course the ShopBot doesn't know if the router is on. If you are making a jog move and don't need it on, just hit enter without pressing the green button)

When using the SO command within a file, you will get the prompt the at the first instance of the SO,1,1 command within a file. If the file then includes SO,1,0 (router off), and then SO,1,1 (router on) again, the router will turn on immediately with no prompt. The Keyboard mode works similarly, once the router has been turned on you can turn it off and on at will without having to press the green button again.

paco
06-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Right David,

output switch #4 should be on too... like in K mode.

richards
06-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Mike,

If everything else fails, you can run an extension cord directly to the router and then use the router's on/off switch to control the router. That would buy you enough time to actually use your machine until you can contact Shopbot via phone to get clarification or instructions.

When I first got my alpha last July, I wondered why everyone was having trouble starting their routers. What I didn't realize is that because I I had ordered my machine to be configured for a spindle (which I still haven't purchased), I could manually control the router motor via the router's on/off switch.

Now that I know how to control the router with software, I have the following code at the start of every sbp file:

SA
JZ, 1
J2, 0,0
SO, 1, 1

And at the end of every file, I have this code:

JZ, 1
SO, 1, 0
J2, 0,0

Just as the others in this thread have instructed, the SO 1,x command controls the router.

mnrite
06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
All Set, Thanks

After searching all over the screen for a start button, finally realized it was on the control panel duh!

Using Mike's code at the beginning and end

Thanks Again

jsfrost
06-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Mike,
One other thing that may be useful to know. Once S1 is on, the Shopbot will always prompt for start then start the router on green button press, before each move as others have described.
If the Shopbot is switched to preview, this turns S1 off. When returned to Run mode, the next move or program executed will not prompt or turn the router on unless S1 is turned on again by the operator or program Not realizing this can cause a broken bit.

richards
06-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Jim,

That's a very valid point. In fact, that's the reason that I stopped using the popup keypad to control the router and started adding the 'SO, 1, x' commands directly to each file.

richards
06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Developing a master template that you can use for any file will make your life a whole lot easier.

1. Get a decent editor so that you can copy/paste from several files with ease. (Crimson Editor found at www.crimsoneditor.com (http://www.crimsoneditor.com) is excellent)

2. Build a master template file. It can be as simple as this:

' file name: template.sbp
' date:
' cutter:
' RPM

GOSUB INIT
GOSUB CUT
GOTO FINI:

INIT:
JZ, 1
J2, 0,0
SO, 1,1
RETURN

CUT:
' paste your cut file here
RETURN

FINI:
JZ, 1
SO, 1,0
J2, 0,0

' End of template.sbp

3. Copy the template file to a working file and then copy your sbp code into the working file.

4. Edit the sbp code in the cut portion of the file to add ramping, peck drilling, etc. as desired.

My usual procedure is to design a part in AutoCAD LT, generate the tool path with PartWizard, make a master cut file using a template similar to the example above, and then tweak the code (remove the unnecessary J2,0,0 commands between parts, etc). It takes a few minutes to set things up the first time, but then you can use the copy/paste procedure to quickly prepare the next part file.

chuck_reid
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Guys,
After reading this thread, I still have problems getting my router to start.
I have a PC that is wired correctly (per instructions) all connections checked and the router runs when plugged into a separate receptical.
When I press the start button, the contactor sounds like it engages, but no start...
All the axis's perform correctly, responding to keyboard commands but the router isn't being controlled. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chuck.

paco
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Charles,

first, double check the wiring for the router from the contactor.

when you believe it should be on (powered), does the output #4 AND then #1 are on (lit)?... look at the red DRO.

Try this; go into K mode (SK command for keyboard control), now output #4 should be on (lit) then hit ALT+1 (or click on the output #1 toggle with mousse; to turn on output #1) then push START button on control box... router should be powered on (if it's switch is at ON).

For file control, make sure your file contain SO 1,1 at the begining (before any movement) and SO 1,0 at the end.

Does that help?

Charles_ Reid (Unregistered Guest)
05-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Paco,
I have the problem figured out now.

Thanks!