PDA

View Full Version : Z axis... Again

dollarbill165
08-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Could someone give me some guidance on how to make sure my bearings are adjusted correctly on my Benchtop? I'm having an intermittent problem with my z going too deep. I've grounded everything... trust me on this, I've shut down anything on the computer that could cause interuptions. Now, I shut everything down and gave the z a push up and down. It doesn't seem to move smooth, it feels like it moves, then binds and moves again.

Could someone give me advise on how to start from scratch on adjusting the bearings? I'm thinking that they are too tight. Is there a sequence to tightening them... anything I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Bill

cnc_works
08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Bill have you checked your pinion for wear? I had your exact symptoms on X axis and that is what the problem was.

Donn

dollarbill165
08-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks Donn, The Machine is only a couple months old so I hope its not a pinion. I think I've fixed it though. I've been reading through old postings here on the forum and decided to give those fixes a try. I noticed that I had a thick build-up of wood fiber (mixed with greese)on my z pinion, that and my bearings may have been too tight, so I readjusted them. Seem to be working well now. I'm learning more everyday. It seems that the sound proof room I built in the garage (i have an 11 mo old boy)... is now a dust collection box. I'm going to have to do alot of PMS to keep things clean until I can install an air filtration fan. Thanks,
Bill