PDA

View Full Version : HSD problem

dewey_dog
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Has anyone had the cooling fan die on a 4hp HSD spindle? Mine does not start ....sometimes but if you use a little air across the fan it starts and runs.

Brady Watson
12-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Tim,
They DO go bad on all of the spindles regardless of make. 1st thing to check is the 24v power supply in the control box. Make sure it is pumping out the full 24v reliably. Then order up a new fan whether you need it or not. I'm glad that you caught it...overheating a spindle is not a pretty sight, although they all have thermisters inside to prevent a meltdown.

-B

bcammack
12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, our people killed a 5HP Colombo because they didn't think it was important to tell anybody the cooling fan quit turning. We now carry spares as a standard practice.

mikeacg
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Brady,

Is the failure based on use or just a random thing? How long can I expect mine to function without a problem and where do I get replacement parts - ShotBot or HSD?

Thanks for the heads-up on this one! It will be sure to die on a weekend in the middle of a rush job...

Mike

paco
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm currently running the third fan on my year old HSD spindle. It's very normal that they go out after a while. Do keep one as spare. I have been considering two things for my setup; a led that would indicate failure and a switch to power off the fan when not need but keeping the Bot powered.

srwtlc
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Mine did the same thing in less than a year. ShopBot got me a new one under warranty. I tried the same thing that I do with computer fans that start to go bad...inject a small drop of light oil in the bearing pocket...didn't help on this one though, I still needed to give it a little kick start in the morning (maybe I should have use coffe instead of oil). ;-)

I did put in a switch to turn off the fan and still leave the bot powered up. Also made it so the spindle can't be started without the fan being turned on.

Brady Watson
12-31-2008, 08:12 AM
My 2001 5HP Colombo's fan is still going strong, as well as my HSD on my BT48. I have, however, witnessed brand new fans that were shot, and fans that died while I was consulting/training with customers. There's no rhyme or reason as to when they will go...They are relatively cheap to keep a spare on hand - especially since, aside from pinion gears, there really isn't much else that needs to be replaced on a SB.

-B

wberminio
12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Scott

How did you switch the fan?

Erminio

mwpfeifer
01-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Scott,
Ditto on Erminio's question. I'm espically interested to know how you wired it the prevent the spindle from being turned on without the fan. I often unplug the spindle fan when the spindle is not running (make sure it's cool first) due to the noise factor. Very loud and disturbing when I'm working on a part file and don't want to shut the Bot down.
Mike

dewey_dog
01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Thankyou for all the reply's I will get one to replace it. I hope all had good holidays.........T

srwtlc
01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Erminio and Mike,

I'm away from my shop for the weekend so I can't look at what I actually did, but bacically, I used a double pole single throw switch. One side of the switch opens/closes the fan circuit and the other side opens/closes the start button circuit. If the fan isn't turned on with the switch, the start button will not work. I also put an indicator light on the fan side (not necessary, but just wanted to).

mwpfeifer
01-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Scott,
Based on your explaination I'm guessing your running an alpha. I use a BT48 Standard and my start button is built into the case of the VFD so I don't think the DPST idea would work for me.
Thanks for the reply.
Mike

srwtlc
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Mike,

Yes, mines an Alpha. I'm not sure how a Standard is wired, but where there's a will, there should be a way to interrupt the start switch and fan. You might need some longer wires to reach both, but I would think that it could be done.

wberminio
01-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the information,Scott.

I also have a standard,But you gave me a start....

Erminio

jay_p
10-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a 4hp HSD spindle and I am trying to remove the fan and fan housing. There are four cap screws at the corners of the chrome guard and four more arranged in two sets of two at the center of the front and rear edge. I hate just remove them all without knowing what is under. I looked at my manual, but the drawing does not correspond to my spindle. Does anyone know which screws I should start with?

Thanks,

Jay

paco
10-09-2009, 02:23 PM
You need to remove the four ones arranged in two sets of two at the center of the front and rear edge to remove the fan and fan housing assembly altogether.

knight_toolworks
10-09-2009, 04:46 PM
there is nothing but the fan inside. myself I cut the wires and installed some connectors. otherwise you need to take the plug apart and solder the wires that sucks. here is the fan model. they are about 25.00 on ebay. but I am debating on getting the same brand.

jay_p
10-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Paco,
Thanks for the info. It came right off.
I see what you mean Steve. Luckily my fan is still working. There was just a piece of debris in there rattling around that I needed to remove.

Thanks all,

Jay