PDA

View Full Version : Trying to locate tool

terrye59@sbcglobal.net
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Newbie here. Bot is together(prt 96) and all has gone well so far. Loaded up sb3 and the firmware
did ok,but now the control flashes 2 yellow
screens,(trying to locate tool) and locks up.
not sure where to look or what to look for.
serial connection seemed to work fine on the
firm ware install.any help would be appreciated.
thereis a wireless network card in the pc. could that be intefering with communication?
Thanks
Terry
user name and password wouldnt work

richards
01-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Terry,

I'm not at the shop, so I can't look at my settings; however, on my Alpha, when I get the "trying to locate tool" message, it simply means that there is no communication between the computer and the controller card. Check the serial port setting on your computer to see which serial port is being used (my Alpha uses a USB to Serial Bridge that shows up as port 4 on the computer). Be sure that you've set the proper port number and baud rate with the VI command.

In my experience, when I've had that particular problem after loading new firmware, I've had to use the VI command to change the port number.

TERRY E (Unregistered Guest)
01-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mike.I think i need to unistall and reinstall.As soon as I open sb3 now,it locks
up the computer,looking for tool. control box
on or off and serial connected or not,doesnt
make any diff.
I cant even get to the V commands.
Terry

jim_ludi
01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Terry,
Make sure you downloaded the software for the PRT, not the Alpha!

TERRYED (Unregistered Guest)
01-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE GETTING BACK ON HERE.
NANCY SAID SHE IS ON IT. I PUT A NEW COMPUTER ON THE BOT AND THE COMM PROBLEM SOLVED.GUESS ALL THOSE OLDER COMPUTERS I WAS TRYING HAD A PROBLEM
IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. LOADED UP 3.4.16 AND DROVE THE BOT AROUND A BIT,CRASHED IT A COUPLE TIMES INTO THE STOPS.IT BLEW PAST THE PROX SWITCHES ONLY AFTER I MANUALLY DID IT,ANOTHER NEWBIE MISTAKE I SUPPOSE.SURFACED THE TABLE.WITHOUT A HITCH. SO FAR SO GOOD.
IVE ONLY SEEN ONE OTHER BOT RUN AND IT WAS AN ALPHA,I UNDERSTAND THE PRT IS SLOWER WHICH IS OK FOR NOW,BUT THE ALPHA SEEMED ALOT QUIETER AS FAR AS XY MOVEMENT.IM NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN THE NOISE,ITS NOT GRINDING OR SHAKING.MORE LIKE ITS BEING HELD DOWN OR BACK.THE JOG NOISE IS NON-EXISTENT,VERY SMOOTH

kerrazy
01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Terry,
Welcome to the Harmonic symphony of your tool.
Each tool has its own harmonics, based on many factors, such as how tight your bolts are, how true your rails are and the speed of the motors.
Try playing with the jog speeds of your tool, with out the router on and you will notice that it will sound considerably different at each speed.
My machine likes a move speed of 1.5 to 1.7 inches/sec and you can barley hear it move, any slower and it is real audible.

It is similar to rubbing you wet finger around the rim of a wine glass, more/less fluid in the glass creates a different harmonic, more/less pressure a different harmonic. it is all based on vibrations.
Also ensure your tapered washers securing the rails are set so the tall edge of the taper is parrallel to the rack, this will prevent the pinions coming in contact with them.

And of course ensure you are running the appropriate unit vales for your tool. As the unit vales determine the revolutions of the motor required for each inch of travel. If these values are incorrect it can cause peculiur noises as well.
Good luck.
Dale

terrye
01-26-2006, 09:36 AM
DALE, 1.6 WORKS PERFECT. VERY QUIET AND SMOOTH ALL
OVER THE TABLE THANKS.I CALLED AND CHECKED THAT
THE VALUES WERE CORRECT,THEY ARE. I WILL PLAY
WITH THE JOG SPEEDS TONIGHT.
THANKS AGAIN