PDA

View Full Version : Problem with move speed settings

johnm
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Folks -

In preview, some of the panels I've been testing have been taking an extremely long time to cut - 2+ hours, when the normal machine time is on the order of 25 minutes. In the SB Control Console the defaulted move speeds are XY .1"/min and Z .5"/Min - normally I have been running 4" and 2" but when I reset those move speeds it defaults back to the lesser values. What is going on? I need to come up with an accurate means of estimating cut time so I can figure labor costs....

Thanks!

John

richards
08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
What are the move speeds inside the spb files?

Brady Watson
08-17-2005, 11:11 PM
John,
Run the FE command in the software and edit the SBP file that you intend to cut. The move speed or MS command is clearly visible at the top of the SBP. Just edit to the desire speeds and save. The speeds in the SBP file that you generated from your CAM software supercede the speed settings in the control software.

-Brady

alabama_davo
08-18-2005, 12:05 AM
One thing you might try is editing your tool settings, create different speed and stepover values for the same tool and just call them "1/4 white oak bit" or " 1/4 mdf bit" the same bit just different parameters. you'll burn up alot less bits and if you pick the wrong speed, you can always use "shift > / < to adjust the speed while running.

johnm
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Hello All -

Thank you for your suggestions - editing the files is what did it! My estimated cut time went from 25 minutes to 7!

My next question - is it appropriate to put a wing, large tailpipe (like on a rice rocket tuner) and a big honkin' flame decal on a Columbo Spindle... We haven't ordered yet, but I want to have everything in place. I already have the little dog with the bouncing head and flashing eyes from my JC Whitney catalog to put on the gantry...

Thanks for not flaming me for what was obviously a simple problem (at least for everyone else!)

Ever,

John Moorhead

Brady Watson
08-18-2005, 04:31 PM
John,
Would you defile a Ferrari with all of that stuff??? Sacrelige I tell you!

There are no stupid questions...unless someone from the back seat asks if w 'are there yet'...

-B

bleeth
08-18-2005, 05:01 PM
As long as you cut the parts out with your spindle you can attach whatever you want

billp
08-19-2005, 11:15 AM
John,
Ignore the masses, go for the Glasspack mufflers..., and while you're at it hydraulic lifters would be cool as well... Remember, you're in Mendonesia.....

gerald_d
08-20-2005, 08:37 AM
If I dare say something now, the post is gonna be deleted, so I'll save myself trouble and just shut up.

mikejohn
08-20-2005, 09:45 AM
and no way am I going to congratulate you on the rugby

gerald_d
08-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Mike, that tiny gratuitous remark took up 2023 bytes of uneccesary space. Please refrain.