PDA

View Full Version : Converting Older Shopbot to Plasma

tvonschimo
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I am considering if I should convert my older Shopbot machine to a Plasma cutter. Has anyone done that? What are the potential problems I may encounter? What do I need to consider? Are the shopbot commands sufficient for Plasma?
On the one hand I like to work with a system I am familiar with (i.e. the shopbot), on the other hand there may be advantages when buying a plasma specific machine (i.e. considering a Torchmate). Any comments would be appreciated.

Brady Watson
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I used to run the SB plasma system. SB uses specific hardware (which is no longer available) in the control box to handle torch height control, as well as specific electronics - including the voltage divider, in the plasma unit itself.

The path of least resistance would be to look for generic/universal plasma hardware/electronics and another control system with good support, that can give you what you want. Adapting to the SB system could be done, but this is assuming you know your way around electronics, in-depth knowledge of plasma cutting and the bravery & time to pull it off.

-B

aaasigncom
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
CAN'T YOU CHANGE THE SB CONTROLS TO THE ASCENSION GECKO CONTROL BOX THAT RUNS MACH3 WHICH HAS A PLAZMA CONTROL BUILT IN. I THINK THIS SETUP ALLOWS YOU TO ADD THE ATC TO THE ASENSION ???

ron brown
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
"The path of least resistance would be to look for generic/universal plasma hardware/electronics and another control system with good support, that can give you what you want. Adapting to the SB system could be done, but this is assuming you know your way around electronics, in-depth knowledge of plasma cutting and the bravery & time to pull it off."

I agree with Brady .... and I hate to agree with anyone!

I work for company that has a $250,000; 12' X 20'; 260A; mixed gas; Plasma cutter with claimed accuracy past 0.0001". The owner wanted to 'poor boy' the operation for a while and use the supplied software rather than purchase a $5000 program that set the controls on the Plasma, reset the kerf and controlled the start and shutdown of the torch. Just that was a monster to deal with.

One can think of the 'plasma' as an "Inverted Tornado" - for lack of a better term, with a leading edge and an egg-shaped cutting profile. As the speed changes, like going around corners and cutting small diameter holes, the kerf changes as does the 'sweet spot' of the cutting area, lead time for cut-off and length necessary for lead-ins. It is the most involved cutting process I have knowledge of. The more work you can get the software to do, the better off you will be.

If you are planning on dealing with thin metals and not needing high accuracy, you may get by using generic controllers and software. There ARE advantages to industry specific CNC machines. I'm not sure where 'Torchmate' stands in support and knowledge or how much one would need if just 'burning artwork' in light metals.

Ron