PDA

View Full Version : X axis binding/chattering/locking up on entire rail.

prolitesigns
06-17-2008, 07:52 PM
The X axis' on our machine are binding and locking up all the way down the rails. It does it if i drive the machine manually or while running a program. The only way i can really get it to go away is when i drive the machine with a speed setting of 1. Anything over that, and the motors will bind up all the way up and down the X axis.

This problem started quite suddenly it seems. There may have been a few times of a little bit of chattering or binding, but it really got bad within a matter of minutes.

I had just finished running one cut program. I moved the zero location to a new one, had everything set up, and started running a new cut program. About half way thru the cut, it started binding up, and now the problem is happening non stop.

any advice.?

myxpykalix
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
You have to figure out if this is a software or hardware issue. If this happens on differnt files you can rule out it being the fault of that file.
Try running a file where there is no bit in the router and no chance for the router to engage anything. If the file runs ok but you have a problem when you try to cut something with the file it might be a conflict with the Z height and causing something to bind that transfers to the carriage.

The next thing I would do would be to power everything down disengage the stepper motors and roll the carriage down the rails to make sure its not your wheels or rails.
If thats ok check the gears on the stepper motors and the gears under the rail.
If the physical setup looks ok, i'm not sure on the best way to test the stepper motors.
Those are a few of the tips I have to try to isolate where the problem is. Try those while you wait for some of the experts to chime in here.

cnc_works
06-18-2008, 12:33 AM
I just experienced similar. Worn racks. Don't know if they just wore out or wore out because I didn't lube enough. I'm limping by until I can get new ones by keeping rapids under 200ipm and cut under 100. Usually 600 & 200 or better. So...check your pinions and racks for wear.

Donn

dmidkiff
06-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Just experienced something similar in my Y. It was the driver. Won't hurt to check.
Dave

prolitesigns
06-18-2008, 11:13 AM
jack,

we disengaged the motor and ran the motors back and forth. No problem while pushing and pulling by hand. As for the files, i can try running another file, but its binding up when im not even running a file, just manually driving it back and forth. So im not sure that it has to do with the files.

Donn,

How did you find out that your racks were worn?, and how long did this take to happen? Our machine is only, say 2 years old at the most. And is used maybe twice a week.

Dave,

i will check the drivers and make sure everything is up to date.

Thanks for the input fellas,

any more would be appreciated.

brucehiggins
06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Have you verified that both x-axis motors are working?

prolitesigns
06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Update as of this morning: June 18th,

I started up the machine and started driving it manually, rather driving it manually with the speed set at 4, and it ran rather flawlessly.

Seeing as how less than 24 hours ago, nothing has changed in the setup, and the only things i did was to leave the machine and the computer off all night, it makes me think that the problem is not with the motors or the rails.

Seems like it would be a computer problem, but nothing has changed in my setup. Basically the only thing always running on the computer is anti virus software, and it hasnt interfered up to this point.

Is it possible that if its not a physical machine problem, and not a computer problem, that the gecko drives or motherboard in the shopbot computer were getting hot? The temp around here has been about 100 degrees.

Seems like if it was overheating and causing all sorts of binding and chattering, that if i let it cool off all night, it may be why its working this morning.

so to clarify/give cliffs,

Machine started working fine again this morning, and I didnt do anything to troubleshoot it other than restart the computer and leave the cnc off all night.

cnc_works
06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Tyler, they shouldn't be worn out in two years if they have been kept lubed. If not, they could be. Wipe a clean spot and examine the teeth with a magnifying device like a loupe (while standing on your head). The teeth tips should be cleanly rectangular with no metal swaged or malformed.

Same goes for pinions, which can wear in a pretty short time if not lubed.

Donn

prolitesigns
06-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Donn,

Ill check those out, but at this point im thinking that its not the rails because this morning, like i mentioned everything is running good.

Leads me to think its a heat problem, or perhaps a computer problem.

cnc_works
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
You may well be right...I hope so, but in my case I could run it up and down four times and on the fifth it would bind. Just plain erratic.

You may want to reconsider the AV software. What if it decided to scan your computer? That really sucks a lot of resources. In my opinion, your control PC should be dedicated to the SB, never on the internet and stripped of all unnecessary running SW. There is a file on the Mach3 site (www.artofcnc.com (http://www.artofcnc.com) bottom of the downloads page) that is a guide to a barebones OS setup that should provide the stability you need to depend on for your control PC.

Donn

prolitesigns
06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Good recommendations donn,

I would love to have this computer stripped to the basics but unfortuantely im not sure if i will be given permission to do that. Its on the local network here at work, and has files that the other computers need to access.

My cnc has done what you were talking about in the past, where it would be really erratic in the chatter. I think that was before i dummed this computer down to the state that its in. The only thing running is the AV software, and I have the auto updates shut off and no scheduled scans, but that still could have been the problem.

thanks for your help.

tyler