PDA

View Full Version : Vfd controller

brian
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I search through the troubleshooting site and didn't kind anything that quite answered my question.
The Delta VFD manual sucks to put it mildly.For that kind of money a user freindly(in laymans terms)manuel should be developed.OK enough ranting.
Can anyone run me through how to program this thing so I don,t have to hold the button down for 5 min.to get it up to speed from warm up.
My index finger would be greatful for any help!
Thanks Brian

georgew
01-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Brian

I just installed a 5 hp Colombo spindle and a 10 HP Delta VFD on my old PRT. I totally agree with your assesment of the Delta manual. Not only did I find it impossible to decode the instructions on how to program the thing, the electritions had to spend twice as much time installing the it because there were no installation instructions.

I did finally call Delta and the vendor that sold the units to me and they said "Oh ya, we've got this printout that tells you how set the perameters for you specific spindle... We'll fax it to you." Of course by that time the electritions had been here 16 hours instead of 8 and after we got the fax everything made sense.

So Call Delta and ask for the install and set up information for you VFD and spindle. If you have any trouble, get me you fax number and I will fax you what they sent me.

Why can't these big companies write a decent instruction manual? Not only did it cause me a lot of time and frustration, I am going to have to pay the electritions for all extra time it took. And that ain't going to be cheap.

Let me know how things go.

George

gerald_d
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
The manual for the Delta is one of the best VFD manuals I have seen - it is one of the aspects that made me pick Delta over other brands.

Brian, I can't remember the exact markings on the buttons and I am not near the thing right now. You have to push a button to go to the left....

Sounds like you are increasing by single units of speed - go one position left and you increase in tens, another left and you increase by hundreds....

Or, you wire in a potentiometer with rotary knob....

The right "electrician" is not the guy who normally does houses. You need a guy that does industrial/factory electrics.

brian
01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Gearld they must have shipped you a different manual than I got.
I,ve got it wired and running.I just need to know how to increase the RPM's faster.
Thanks

richards
01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Brian,

Can you tell us exactly what the procedure is that you're using and which button you're holding down?

You should be able to change to any speed in a matter of a few seconds using Gerald's method of changing from units to tens to hundreds to thousands and to ten thousands.

Chapter 5, in the manual, explains each parameter. Section 5.1 gives a concise summary of each parameter. Section 5.2, in particular, gives a lot of examples. Section 5.3 gives details of each parameter.

Sometimes it's necessary to step back for a moment to ask ourself exactly what it is that we want the VFD to do. Once we know EXACTLY what it is that needs to be done, the manual will explain the process.

gerald_d
01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Brian, you must have missed where I tried to explain how change the speed "faster"

Here are some pics (from the manual) for reference:

Press the "Left key" once and the speed will then increase 10 times faster.

The Delta VFD is a multipurpose device and making it drive a woodwork spindle is only using a small fraction of its capability.

brian
01-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks I should have responded faster.Gerald your first post gave me the info I needed
Thanks