PDA

View Full Version : USB Problem

utulsaee
12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
At the University of Tulsa the Electrical Engineering department has recently acquired new Shopbot. With help from a local owner we got the new tool up and running. Since school is out for the holidays I have been learning and practicing.
Last week everything was working properly. Now it appears that there is a problem with the Shopbot communicating with the computer. When I startup Shopbot 3 software the computer cant seem to find the Shopbot. According to my PC the Shopbot shows up as a USB device but the dredded YELLOW WINDOW comes up and tells me that it cant talk to the Shopbot. Help!! Please!

Gary Campbell
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Barry...
In many cases installing a USB 2.0 powered hub between the computer and control box drastically improves the comm rate.

Have the drivers been installed?

Has the firmware been installed?
Gary

myxpykalix
12-31-2009, 09:30 PM
On a couple of occassions when i have plugged the bot in to a different usb port then the one i usually plug it in to, i have the same issue. You may want to try plugging it in to different ports.

frank134
12-31-2009, 10:20 PM
yes I found this out last week. The first USB port I plug into was not a usb 2.o those the shopbot work on it for awhile. then the little windows kept comming up. I pull the computer apart only to fine I can't use two of the 7 usb port on it. I don't know if there usb 1.0 or what. but the bot won't work with two of them. the hp computer is brand new.

ed_lang
01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Make sure the ShopBot controller is turned ON and the RESET button has been pushed...

dlcw
01-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I found out that a powered USB 2 hub wouldn't work with my setup. The USB hub that came with my Shopbot turned out to be faulty and caused the USB subsystem in the computer to shut down. I went to Radio Shack and purchased a new hub, didn't plug in the wall wart and life is good.

Don

jim_ludi
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I had trouble with USB communications yesterday. After several hours of frustration I found that my 220V electric heater, with fan, was causing the problem. Shut the heater off and no more problems. Look for any changes in the Bot's environment as possible causes.

utulsaee
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. All I had to do was re-load the firmware and everything is working as expected