PDA

View Full Version : Extension table

kubotaman
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I purchased a new 5x10 Alpha and have heard of flexing in the z axis at full extension which in my case is a 12" Z axis. I experienced the flex as of yesterday. I was using a 3/4" bit, taking a 1/8" pass in red cedar yesterday. When I would go slightly faster, 1" per second, it would wander off track by a 1/4". I feel that the drag of the bit was overcoming the ability of the y axis to the prevent movement. What is your opinion? If I slowed down to .7 IPS it cut fine. It just took too long. I have decided to extend a portion of my table up so I would have a normal 6" z axis. What do some of you guy's do as far as material to use for the "extension" table? I feel I would be better off using aluminum tubing, 2"x6" square, and have it welded together than using a wood product. I feel the wood will wander and not stay true. Again what do you do to extend the table heigth?

myxpykalix
04-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a 5x10 prt alpha with a valley for my indexer and using a .5" bit taking a pretty good bite at a time (don't recall feed, speed) I haven't had any problems. My thought is that a .75 is taking a lot of material at one time.

I would think you might have better luck using a .5" bit and faster speed, but i'm no expert on that.
As far as your extension table I recommend you make it out of plywood in a "torsion box" design.
If you make it out of metal it will be way too heavy to take off and on and unless you are not an "old coot" like most of us you won't want to have to "rassle" with a big heavy metal table.

myxpykalix
04-25-2009, 05:51 PM
forgot pic