PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Modifications

robert_marks
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I ran a search of the posts and found few if any upgrades to the PRT Benchtop. I know they are a little older machine but very capable and worth upgrading. I have made a few improvements as of late and thought I might share for the benefit of the other Benchtop owners or anyone looking to make the same changes. Two most useful upgrades: Router Mount and Echain.

I purchased a new router mount from K2 CNC, a big improvement over the hose claps that once held my router in place. I had to make a minor modification to compensate for the ¾ inch guide bearings but I am very happy with the outcome. Total cost for mount conversion- $70. (2 Hours)

The second was the replacement of the cable arch that was repaired several times for breakage. I purchased an EChain and mounting brackets from McMaster-Carr. I found some 4” track used in steal wall construction at H Depot (Less than $5 dollars for 12ft) and installed it as a support platform on the back of the unit. I used the original mounting hardware from the arch to attach the top mount of the Echain. Total cost of EChain conversion $140. (45min)

Brackets # 55835K124 Energy Chain #55835K593

I have included some pictures, hope this helps.

Brady Watson
03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Robert,
Your '32' looks great! The mods look super. Thanks for posting. It isn't often people get to see a Benchtop machine...Many don't realize these are the older cousins to the Buddy tools.

-B

robert_marks
03-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks Brady,

This little bot has been a great machine, works hard, cuts clean and has taught me a great deal about CNC. There is always a learning curve when dealing with new machinery, lucky for me I was able to work through some of those issues without the worry of a monthly payment. This little bot has allowed me to see my true CNC needs; my next Shopbot purchase will be made based on these experiences. I don’t see much in the posts about the benchtops but these simple mods can be made to any bot that has the same basic set up. $200 in parts, and a little time made a big difference for me. Thanks again for the nice comments.

rhfurniture
03-16-2009, 03:40 AM
This was a standard prt benchtop once.
It now does 1200 x 800 and is as steady as a rock.
R.

Brady Watson
03-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Pretty cool, Ralph!

-B

robert_marks
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Ralph, nice machine! I have not seen one like that. It would be great if there was a place on the forum to share these machines. I am sure there are allot of older bots out there still working hard with owners willing to share. Nice to see a little history of the company and of the machine. This may also encourage others to ask questions or to find the inspiration to start a restoration. I know I would be interested in seeing more. Thanks for sharing.