PDA

View Full Version : Won't run with v3.5.10 software

tas99
07-26-2008, 10:53 PM
I started having trouble loosing communication to the ShopBot so I decided to upgrade to v3.5.10 control software (I've ordered a VFD speed control board so I figured I'd have to do it anyway). The sw and drivers loaded Ok but now it won't communicate with the ShopBot. When I run the sw I get the yellow box saying communications lost and it always puts me in preview mode. Th #4 light on the interface is blinking and when I look for the port it says ShopBot found on port #4; which is the one I'm trying to connect through.

The PC is dedicated to the ShopBot, not on-line, no other sw running and I've made no changes to the hw or sw to cause the problem. It's a PRS Alpha, running for about 1-1/2 years with 5 or 6 occurrences of a communication error during that time but it always seemed to be associated with a particular file; not this time.

Any suggestions on either problem.

myxpykalix
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
have you run the firmware upgrade? [U I] I think you always have to do that after upgrading the software.

tas99
07-27-2008, 09:44 AM
No I haven't. This is my first upgrade so if you'd give me some more info on that I'd appreciate it. I thought I'd find more info on doing an upgrade at the ShopBot site but it's pretty quiet on how it's done. Lacking anything to tell me otherwise I just installed the newer version over the old.

myxpykalix
07-27-2008, 10:41 AM
open the shopbot control software

where it says File Move Jog Cuts, ect

go to Utilities/Install Control box firmware
or type UI in the yellow command box
it pops up a box with 3 sentences of directions
follow those directions

tas99
07-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok, I see the command and the resultant instructions but before I do that, why do I have to upgrade the firmware if I only upgraded the control sw? And, when asked for what file to upload to the firmware there seems to be only one choice (1-atest_01.hex ), is that the cirrect file?

And, if these are the steps why doesn't ShopBot post a link to some instructions. That last question is purely rhetorical.

srwtlc
07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Tom,

At any point along the upgrade path of the software (version to version), there may have also been an update to the firmware on the control board. This may be to enable new features, bug fixes, improved resolution, etc., etc.

As far as I know, there's no choosing of a file for firmware.

I agree, due to the number of problems with people not applying the firmware after an update/upgrade, that there should be some sort of check/prompt upon launching the newly installed version that would say "Your control box firmware is out of date for this version of SB3 and needs to be updated."

tas99
07-27-2008, 02:35 PM
OK, I upgraded the firmware, I think. There wasn't much of a choice after opening the Firmware Downloader.The only thing was the choice of file (only one choice as I mentioned above) selected it and it went off for a second, gave no indication that it did anything and that was it. Th only difference is that there was no longer a file choice under the File drop down menu.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work - pretty much the same symptoms as I first described except that now in the yellow box I get when it starts in preview mode is a message at the top that says, "Problem with response from ShopBot on Port 4 - Error: Port already open. Exit, insure USB cable is plugged in and ShopBot USB drivers have been loaded"; or something to that effect.

I would assume that the drivers were loaded when the software loaded but maybe not. How do I load drivers?

I remember listening to Ted Hall at a ShopBot Jamboree where he touted how simple it was to upgrade the sw. Sometimes I think they only look at it from the perspective of already knowing all the answers and can't imagine how anyone could ever have a problem. It's all sooooo simple.

Brady Watson
07-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Tom,
1. Restart the computer.
2. Turn OFF control box.
3. After computer comes back into Windows, turn control box back ON.
4. Start SB3. Select Preview mode.
5. Under the 'Utilities' menu, choose 'Load Firmware'
6. Click on 'check ports in control panel' to verify that you have the correct port selected.
7. Click on 'Load Firmware', then turn control box OFF for 15 seconds.
8. Turn control box back ON & you should see a status bar indicating that it is loading firmware. (Text will say something like, "Loading xabc.HEX")
9. When complete, switch to MOVE mode and be sure to select the correct port to connect.

Additionally, if running USB, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it is less than 12' long. If it isn't, shorten it.

-B

tas99
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Brady,

I appreciate the response and I'll follow your suggestions tomorrow.

In step 6 to insure the correct port, when I do the check it says the ShopBot is found on port #4; that's the port I should be using, right?

The USB cable is less than 12' so that shouldn't be the problem.

Tom

Brady Watson
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
It's best to go to the contol panel (Windows) and see what port your USB is hooked up to. Alternatively, you can go to the Diagnostic folder (in Program Files-> ShopBot-> SB3) and run the SpeedTest.exe utility - be sure SB3 is CLOSED when you run it. In that program, there is a button that says, "Find a ShopBot", if you click it, it will search & report the port it is really on. Then, Open SB3, load the firmware using the port that the SpeedTest.exe told you.

-B

tas99
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Brady,

Ok, that did it. The firmware loaded and I'm able to communicate with the ShopBot. I'll run a few files and see if this version has any improvement on the intermittent communication loss problem.

The only comment I have is that while upgrading the software can be a simple process that’s only true if you understand all the steps necessary. A link to some simple instructions would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

scottj
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Have you looked at Dr ShopBot

http://drshopbot.com/index.php?title=FirmWareUpdate