PDA

View Full Version : So many questions

richard_saylor
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm new to cnc but not to computers, programming and woodworking. I'm having sporadic errors with a new PRS Standard Buddy and am trying to pin them down to owner/operator, programmatic, controller and/or electrical error.
I was getting the often mentioned 'Missing com return' error. Installed 3.6.10, no change. Tested transmission efficiency, 69%, installed hub, %74%...no change. Brought in another computer with XP Home, was using Vista, solved the problem, for now. Although, tested transmission efficiency, 55%. So, from that exercise, I assume that efficiency is a red herring in regard to this problem.
But it goes on....
Now, when I run a simple partfile generated from Partworks, if I turn on the PC router BEFORE the Pause 2 line, execution stays on the Pause line until I turn the router off and then it resumes processing the file. I assumed this had something to do with voltage drop to the system, so I isolated the router on another circuit, same results. Of course, like any good problem, it isn't consistant.
Other questions are, in the same Partworks generated sbp files, there are commands that I can't find a reference for. C#,90 and TR,16000 and SC,1,1. The second command opens the spindle speed window so I assume it is proprietary to the Alpha or a spindled bot? I comment it out. I can find no reference to the others in the Command Reference file. I've been commenting out these commands, thinking that they may be the source of the problem.
I love the idea what this machine may someday do for me, if and when I figure all this out. Meanwhile, I'm tentative about putting an expensive bit in the router and some nice wood on the table.

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Richard,

Regarding the unknown commands in the .sbp file. It sounds like you are saving the toolpaths using the wrong post processor for your machine. You should be using ShopBot(arc)(inch).

Tim

richard_saylor
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks Tim,
Chaulk one up for owner/operator error. I chose the first option in the dropdown, creating the file 'w/speed'. Although, when I create a new sbp file using ShopBot(arc)(inch), I still get the C#,90 and SC,1,1 commands which have no documentation in the Command Reference pdf.
Richard

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Richard,

I just checked the last 6 cutfiles I generated and none have those two commands present in them. Could you possibly attach a small .crv and .sbp file?

The C# line is calling a custom cut file (I think) but I'm not familar with the SC command.

You can also experiment with the ShopBot(inch) post processor to see if they disappear. But using that post processor for any design with curves is not recommended.

Tim

richard_saylor
10-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Here are the two files created in Partworks 1.1

Crv and Sbp
Richard Sample.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/Richard_Sample-47441.zip) (11.2 k)

adrianm
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
C#,90 is a custom command that loads up the common user defined variables.

As it's a two digit command it uses the C# notation rather than C2, C3 etc.

It's SO,1,1 not SC,1,1.

For some reason in the SB Editor a capital O looks very much like a capital C. It's caught me out a few times.

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Richard,

The SC command is to auto start/stop a router. The C# command calls a custom file to give error messages.

I still don't think you are using the correct post processor. I've attached the .sbp file using ShopBot(arc)(inch)(*.sbp) post processor. Open yours and mine (they are just text files) and compare. Recommend you double check the post processor again.

Tim

3992 (0.6 k)

richard_saylor
10-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Tim,
In the Post Processor dropdown dialog, I'm using the third item, which is ShopBot(arc)(inch)(*.sbp). Are you using Partworks 1.1?
Adrian,
Thanks for the clarification, I opened the file in Notepad and it definitely is an 'O".
Where are you finding the documentation on the C# command?

I guess the first question is my immediate problem. What's up with the program execution in relation to when the router is turned on? That problem is not affected by the C#, SO and TR commands, since I've commented them out, ran the file and still have the same outcome.
By accident, of course, I'm NOT that methodical, when partfile execution stalled this afternoon, I turned the speed down to 16K from 19K instead of turning the router off. Lo and behold, the program continued to the end without incident.
It has to be some sort of electrical interference, low voltage or grounding problem?
Lastly, is there a database of problems solved and outstanding? Every coding house I've worked in has data generated by tech support regarding hardware and software issues encountered by end users and inhouse testers.

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Richard,

I am using the Vectric equivalent products. Partworks is simply V-Carve Pro packaged to only use ShopBot post processors. It is possible that ShopBot has modified their post processors to include these commands. Like you said, they exist but are not causing any issues. So I would focus on your other issues as it sounds like you are.

Tim

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Forgot to add this above, but you really need to look into upgrading to Version 2. Won't change the post processor issue, but has many more features. Depending on times, you may be entitled to a free upgrade. Won't know until you ask.

Tim

Gary Campbell
10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Richard...
Those 2 commands are correct and unless there is something corrupt in your my_variables file, they will cause no problems. You need to look elsewhere.

Look in your C:\SbParts\Custom folder. You will be able to open the Custom90.sbc file in your editor. It calls up the my_variables.sbc file. It is also in the Custom folder. That file holds many of the required offsets and variables required to run your machine that are specific to your machine. Most of these have been entered by the SB setup routine.
Gary

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Gary,

Curiousity question here. Why do shopbots run OK using the Vectric supplied post processors that apparently do not have these two commands?

I just looked at my Custom90.sbc file and it is empty.

Tim

Gary Campbell
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Tim...
During a parts file, unless you have a drill or second Z, you may not need to call up any variables. I have VCPro and have made a good number of mods to the postp's, so I really couldnt tell you what the OEM posts have in them.

Your Custom90 file should say "FP, c:\SbParts\Custom\My_variables.sbc" This will call up the my_variables file for XY zeroing with the prox and Z zeroing using the zzero plate. I am sure, since I know you use these files, that it is either there or you have another way to call the file when needed.
Gary

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Gary,

You are correct about the exact wording in my Custom90.sbc file. So I guess my question is better worded as to why ShopBot modified post processors call it, Vectric ones do not, but everything seems to work OK?

Speaking of your highly modified ShopBot - didn't I see it in the last Transformers movie...

Tim

Gary Campbell
10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Tim...
I just looked in the postp's that were downloaded with my last version upgrade. The 2 lines in question are in there. Is there a possibility that you may have one of the older versions? These posts are using a 2008 modification date.

It was in the movie, but after I didnt get the big check, I withdrew?

Gary

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Gary,

Sending you an email.

Tim

richard_saylor
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Back to the original topic. ;)
I moved the PC router power cord from the energy chain and ran a couple files. No problem....yet.
Lessons learned so far:
1) Ignore all documentation provided by ShopBot.
2) Go with your gut feeling
3) Keep your own documentation files