PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening dxf files in Corel Draw v.9

bruce
01-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm drawing gears using a gear plotting program called Geargen (great program if you're working with gears: free on the net). Geargen generates dxf files, and I want to be able to open these files in Corel Draw since this is where I do most of my design work. The problem is that I can't open these files at all: I simply get a blank page when I open them.

The problem is not limited to files generated in Geargen: I can open a few dxf files that have been created in Autocad, but most of them won't open either.

Any suggestions?

Bruce

jthelen
01-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Is there a setting to save it as an earlier version DXF in Geargen? In AutoCAD I save most of my DXF files in Version 12. They seem to open in most programs I use. Some programs would not open higher versions DXF files. Just a thought.
Jim

Ken Brisk (Unregistered Guest)
01-16-2005, 07:01 PM
I use the import function in Corel 10. Make sure the first box is checked (the one showing the perspective straight up) and Scaling is set to English.

bruce
01-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Ken and Jim,

Thanks for your responses: I haven't been online for a few days, but I've managed to solve the problem in much the way you suggested. Corel can't open dxf files that are too complex (if they've been generated in an application other than Corel). Instead of generating the entire gear, I focused on just a tooth profile then opened it in Autocad and saved it in the oldest version of Autocad I could. This reduced the file size from 4 meg to 80kb, which Corel was then able to open.

Bruce