PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator

lance@avalonteam.com
05-28-2002, 12:46 AM
Does anyone out there have any experience with converting Adobe Illustrator file for use with the ShopBot? We've recently started working with a local advertising agency making some wooden signs. All of their designs are done in AI. We've had limited success exporting to dxf and importing into Vector. Some very complex drawing work fine and some very simple object don't!! We just can't seem to narrow down what the issue is. I figured there would have to be someone else that has run into this issue before?

shuttle
05-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Just go on Google and search for "adobe ai file converter" there seems to be lots to choose from.

lance@avalonteam.com
05-28-2002, 04:13 PM
I know that, plus I can convert to almost any file format it needs to be in. I just can not get an answer as to what is the best format to convert it to so that ShopBot and Vector can understand it. I talked with IMServe and they told me to use Corel Draw. The advertising firm laughed at me when I told them that. (And yes, they really did laugh) If Corel Draw can export a file for use with Vector, then so should one of the Adobe products. But I haven't been able to find anyone else who's done this before to double check the export settings.

edcoleman
05-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Lance:

You may want to try "exploding" all of the objects in your file....that is, breaking them up into smaller/simpler entities so that they can be better translated. The exact command will differ from one program to another, but it is "explode" in turbocad and "convert to curves" in Micrografx Designer. When I use these programs, I typically perform this operation. Without doing this, the file sometimes gives me trouble.

Adobe Illustrator probably has a similar function.

Hope this helps

-Ed

PS - my comments are based on experience with the shopbot dxf converter, not Vector, but you may be having a similar issue.

dan@burningimpressions.ca
05-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi Lance, I have had to convert AI files as my son
uses it to make cdrom part files and product layouts for CO.s I use coredraw but you have to strip the colorfill and ungroup then combine the
entity's before making a dxf.file hope this helps..