PDA

View Full Version : How to make boxes on my bot?

knight_toolworks
04-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Well not a box so much as a case. I made this one (no shopbot was abused in the making) out of solid padouk. The metal was a bit large and I bought the smaller size. It uses .183” thick material. Well I made the mistake of trying ¼” walnut ply and the stuff would not stay flat so I ended up with a warped ½ case. So I have debated getting ¼” mdf core ply it goers from 35.00 a sheet for the walnut to 75 a sheet for sepple. The ply seems stiff but I hate to invest in a sheet and find it will not work. But I have thought of using ½” ply and some kind of joint on my bot. any idea’s? then I can skip the metal as I will have to glue the smaller stuff on since the rivets don’t have a lot to bite on.
I want to supply these but they need to be cost effective to make. Right now they take up too much time and the materials get expensive. The handle alone was 15.00 or so

knight_toolworks
04-13-2008, 11:38 PM
here is what I came up with so far. the slots are 1/8" for loose tenons. I will build the box fully then run it through the tablesaw to separate lid and bottom. have to cut one of these tomorrow and see how it works.

sawdust535
04-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Steve
I've been experimenting also with different ways of making boxes on the bot. I can't tell from your photo, are you using a 90 deg v-bit to miter the edges?

knight_toolworks
04-14-2008, 01:08 AM
right a 90 to cut the pieces. I forgot to post the pic of the case I made here it is