PDA

View Full Version : Saving and moving files

powerlsc
11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Beginner! I have saved a file in Partworks but when I go to Partworks3D the file does not show up in the folder I put it, or anywhere else for that matter.
I've done an archive search but maybe someone could suggest a basic file moving source for me.

Have a Buddy and trying to carve some samples with no luck. Thanks

adrianm
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
A file you save in PartWorks won't show up in the list for files to open in PartWorks3D as the file types are different.

If you go back into PartWorks you should be able to open the file from the recent files list on the files menu.

powerlsc
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Adrian. I just attended the shopbot class in Durham this past weekend. I learned you have to design in a CAD program, Partworks, then move it to a CAM program, Partworks 3D. Then it can be opened in Shopbot.
I seem to have a gap in the information that saves then moves from one program to the next.
Where can I get the info?
I'm also checking my "computers for dummies" book.

adrianm
11-12-2009, 05:05 AM
Partworks is a CAM program as well.

Partworks is primarily for doing 2d work such as signs and PartWorks3D is for doing 3D models and reliefs.

Unless you're doing a complex piece of work you should really be working in one or the other not both. If you were to use both it's usually the other way around; design and toolpath a part in PartWorks3D and the import it into PartWorks for incorporation into a larger design.

You need to draw your design in PartWorks, create the toolpaths in PartWorks and then save those toolpaths. That file is what you then run on the ShopBot.

It might be worth having a look at www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com) they are the people that write the Partworks software and they have some excellent video and written tutorials on the site.

Note that the VCarve is the same as PartWorks and Cut3D is the same as PartWorks3D.

zeykr
11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Lynn, Looks like you're not too far from Austin. There are several experienced shopbotters in the Austin area and if you post a message looking for them I'm sure some will respond and would likely be willing to work with you in a little one on one to get you going.

If you can post the partworks file you're working on so we can see what you're trying to do, I'm sure several folks will jump in to help.

scottcox
11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Lynn,

You have email.

powerlsc
11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Working with tech support I found out my Y axis proximity switch was left off my machine. Thought it was operator error that my bot wouldn't hold 0,0.

Shopbot sent me a switch and talked me through install. I am now intimate with my control box panel.

A big thank you to Scott Cox, who stopped on his way from a Vetric users group in Dallas, and walked me through a complete sign project ... files moved and all. I was trying to use too many programs to do what my Aspire program can do alone. Big relief.

Appreciate all the support. First sign is in progress!