PDA

View Full Version : Dxf files

twiles
04-26-2001, 01:05 AM
I am looking for some dxf files (or any other type of vector files) for some items like grape vines with leaves, and other misc. things that I can carve with a v-point bit. Not looking for anything that will take an hour to cut out, just some basic stuff. I have a customer that would like to see some samples for use on cabinet and furniture parts. I can just draw them, or trace some raster images, but I thought asking all of you may be quicker.
Along this subject, any suggestions for places on the web to find some good files?? I know a guy with a laser machine that has a book that is about three inches thick, but it is all raster clip-art stuff.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Terry Wiles

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-26-2001, 08:39 PM
Terry if you have access to coreldraw there is a
font that comes with it called (DF caligraphic) it
has quite a variety of little graphics right from
the keyboard, they are neat for boxes and drawer
fronts.. Dan

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
08-20-2001, 03:50 PM
If you are experiencing problems with saved or
exported DXF Files, such as lines broken, or a torn lines that are not where they should be,
it is "probably" Hardware acceleration and Video
Card.. Go to control panel,system,performance,graphics..and back off the acceleration, and try saving the file again..

dmdraper
08-21-2001, 09:48 AM
Terry,

If you you have access to a CorelDraw CD, there is a also a font called Plants.ttf. It has leaves, flowers, pine cones, ect.

Dave D.

kaaboom_99
08-30-2001, 03:59 AM
I have been playing around with your software preparing to shorten the learning curve once I purchase one of your machines. I am having some difficulty in using your file conversion programs.
I have taken various .tif's in CorelDraw and also CorelPaint, saved them in various formats (i.e. 8 bit grayscale .tif's; .dxf's and .plt). The only conversion that actually generated code was the .tif, but it created a design that was 3D (various Z axis depth's). In the preview this shows up as a solid white mass.
Can someone help me and tell me how to properly use Corel (I am most comfortable with it) and explain what it is I am doing wrong. The images I have been trying to convert are originally 2 colour .tif's. Do I have to trace these while in CorelDraw prior to exporting or saving them?
As I said, I wish to get over this hurdle prior to making a commitment to purchase a Shopbot PRT96.
Thank you everyone

kaaboom_99
08-30-2001, 04:00 AM
I have been playing around with your software preparing to shorten the learning curve once I purchase one of your machines. I am having some difficulty in using your file conversion programs.
I have taken various .tif's in CorelDraw and also CorelPaint, saved them in various formats (i.e. 8 bit grayscale .tif's; .dxf's and .plt). The only conversion that actually generated code was the .tif, but it created a design that was 3D (various Z axis depth's). In the preview this shows up as a solid white mass.
Can someone help me and tell me how to properly use Corel (I am most comtortable with it) and explain what it is I am doing wrong. The images I have been trying to convert are originally 2 colour .tif's. Do I have to trace these while in CorelDraw prior to exporting or saving them?
As I said, I wish to get over this hurdle prior to making a commitment to purchase a Shopbot PRT96.
Thank you everyone

rgengrave@aol.com
08-30-2001, 09:34 AM
Perry Corelpaint is used to make tif files for cutting and coreldraw is used to make dxf files for cutting.
Since you know how to use the tif converter? draw something in coreldraw and export as a dxf format and convert that or use the coreldraw clipart.
When you convert it will ask if it is a 2d or 3d, Enter 2, then it will ask for z-up enter .25 for 1/4 inch, then it will ask for the depth for a #, here you tell it how deep you want that color to cut, if you have more then 1 color in your drawing you will get a # to enter for each color used.
Try that and see how it will for you, if you still need help just let us know.
If you live in the U.S send me an email with a number to call and I will walk you thru it all.

Ron V

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
08-30-2001, 11:25 AM
Perry to add to what Ron explained,
Corel clipart is vector its lines filled with color.. this can be exported as a dxf.. but raster
clipart or pictures such as jpg. bmp.wmf.these can't.
also when exporting or saving as a dxf from corel
save from the middle of your table.. if you are working with a 48" x96" in table save from 24" x 48" this works out to the bottom left on your shopbot converter screen..

kaaboom_99
08-31-2001, 12:57 AM
Thanks Ron & Dan. I just posted another message in the Corel Branch of this tree. Please read and if you can, post a reply
Thanks again and I do love this forum. It lends credit to a company that is willing to allow open discussion on their product and tech notes.
Hope to hear from you soon