PDA

View Full Version : BobCAD or ArtCAM Pro

ron_moorehead
12-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I am new to CNC work and have been looking at software, right know I think the software that has come with the shopbot will do what I need it to do, but at some point I would like to be able to do some 3D work, maybe scan a photo and then carve it in some wood. Any ideas or help on what works and does not. I downloaded the trial of BobCAM and now they have started to call me and have a one time offer of the current version for $700.00 vs $3000.00 normaly, it htis good or ok price.

Thanks...

jay
12-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Ron, I use ArtCAM and would highly recommend it. I have known folks with BobCAM that have not been too happy.

Jay

jsfrost
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I own Bobcad. Never use it.

don_ask
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
I also own Bobcad! Money down the drain. I never use it.

Brady Watson
12-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Add me to the list....wasted $$$ on BobCAD. Now use ArtCAM Pro. The cost differential is justified since ArtCAM doesn't call me every week trying to get me to upgrade...

-Brady

ilp
02-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Used BobCad for one part, never used it again... I consider it money spent unwisely.
ArtCam is a complete solution for any 2 1/2, or 3D work I have attempted.

joe
02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Add me to the above list.

btroupjr
02-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I purchased BobCad and BobArt. I found it exceptionally powerful. It is far more powerful than my copy of Artcam Insignia, on the CAD side. However, The ArtCam software is easier for me to use doing everyday items (Mostly 2D or 2.5D) since I am already very familiar with using Part Wizard. Tool Path creation is easy on both softwares. I have no complaints about either software on the CAM side.
I would say if your doing just simple to mildly complex shape/text style CAD work, ArtCam is a great software for such things. Any complex 3D CAD?CAM, more than 3 axis work, or any Picture to tool path work, stick with BobCad/BobArt. It is far better and much less expensive.
I don't use BobCad every day, but when I needed it, man.... I was glad I have it!!

rustnrot
02-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I am a very happy BobCAD user as well. I need to say it is the ONLY CAD/CAM program I have ever used, however. It was the training CD's and large manual that drove me to purchase it. You can get the software, training CD's and manuals for less than PartWizard. No, I have never even used PartWizard as I have an older machine that I got used that did not have it.

higgins
07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I have owned Bobcad for a few years. The software is loaded with Bugs, antiquated, and difficult to use. I have had enough of their harassing phone calls with attempts to force me into another upgrade. Their new tactic in sales is high pressure harassment. Bobcad pushes the promise that all Bugs will be fixed in the new upgrade. This has never been true! I have found that this product is poorly developed. Bobcad should be Freeware.

john_david
07-13-2006, 08:54 AM
OK here is my take on Bob Cad /Bob Art versus Artcam PRO

I purchased Bobcad/ Bobart pro and for the $$$ spent is a OK cad software You CAN draw anything you want in 2-d or 3-d and program it to run with many CNC machines,Although the post processor for shopbot conversion needs some work,

I also have used Art Cam Pro and it to is a very powerful program and pretty intuitive to learn once you read all the help functions, it does all that Bobcad does and MORE, but the $7500 price tag is alot if you are not making money doing 3-d machining and signs.
Artcam insignia is just the FULL version of PART WIZARD and not to be confused with Artcam Pro and for my money I can use BOB CAD or Turbo Cad to do 2-d work and program in partwizard

Bob Cad is not worth $3000 and anyone can get the $700 price with the book and training CD's included( I dont recomend buying without the CD's)
So I guess if your making the money Artcam is the way to go but if not use Bobcad for 2 1/2 D machining

Thats my 2 cents worth
JD

megumi_matsushida
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey guys
I'm planing to purcahse ARTCAM Pro in this year but wow the price is quite a problem.

I wonder if they offer any special price for educational circles.
Could anyone let me know pls?

Brady Watson
11-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Megumi,
Call ShopBot. You're in luck, there is a special price for schools.

I bought BobCAD and my experience was not a good one...

-Brady