PDA

View Full Version : Programming a second Z

ckurak
03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I have searched through the docs and the forum looking for info, but I am coming up empty. So, I am asking for help. Thanks in advance.

I have a PRT120x60 and am considering adding a second Z-axis. But, before I add hardware, I would like to know how to program the software. This way I can decide if I can get the machine to really do what I need before I commit funds.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to write software that automatically uses the two Z's?

Maybe there are some simple sample files that show how the two Z's are controlled from a single SBP file? Or, maybe a single (master) SBP that calls other SBP files?

FYI: I have PartWizard 3.2 as well as PartWorks 1.1.

Thanks,

Charles

harold_weber
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Charles, perhaps the simplest way to "program" for a second Z is to select "shopbot head 2" as the format for the machine output file when you save the toolpath you want to run on the second Z axis.

If you decide to work this way, then you must furnish the X and Y offsets between the 2 Z heads by filling in these distances in your "my_variables" file.

hespj
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I have an old ShopBot pdf called "Double Z" which deals with this. I could email it.

John

ckurak
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
John,

That would be great. email is in profile.

Thanks,

Charles

Gary Campbell
03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Charles..
I just looked in VCPro and a ShopBot Head 2 is listed as a post processor option. I am sure that all of the SB supported design software has this feature.

To cut with the second Z you would select the 2nd head as a post processor. You will have to check your software version variables to make sure you are using the same variables as the postP output. THese variables are defined in setup to set the distances that the 2nd Z is offset in X & Y from the first. There are also conversion utilities out there to convert files from 3 axis' to 4, which you could use on existing parts files to enable them to be cut using the 2nd Z (A)
Gary

ckurak
03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks, guys.

OK. Now I know how to prepare SBP files for Head1 and Head2. And, I know how to set the X & Y offsets in the my_variables.sbc file.

Now, I would like to:

a) set zzero on both heads
b) power on both routers/spindles
c) start routing using BOTH heads
d) walk away from the machine
e) come back when ALL SBP files are complete
f) power off both routers/spindles
g) be amazed at how much time I saved!

My best guess is that I need to build a "master" SBP file that will call each of the other SBP files, in the proper order, using the FP command in order to do this. Is this correct? Suggestions welcome!

I can also imagine that I could have many SBP files called by this "master" file. Care must be taken to be sure that the files are called in the correct cutting order for the job at hand.

Am I understanding it correctly?

Charles

Gary Campbell
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Charles..
a) use the SB supplied AZero.sbp to zero 2nd head
b)router 1 uses output 1 (SO,1,1)
router 2 can use output 2 (SO,2,1)
a line to turn on the second can be added to your master
c)if I understand what I have read you will need to write a custom 4D file that assumes 2nd piece of material is offset the same as the 2nd head offset and the Z and A are at the same height. This will make "parallel" or copy cat cuts. There are some dual z guys out there, maybe they can chime in
d) thru g) you are on your own!
Gary

Gary Campbell
03-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Charles...
I forgot..check out the [T]ools [U]tilities Zto A duplicator... in the SB3 software.
GC

beacon14
03-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes a master file is the way to do this. It's nothing more than a list of commands just like you would enter manually. You can call files in whatever order you want, orchestrate bit changes and z-zeroing, starting and stopping the routers - whatever you decide in whatever order you want. You can also get input from the user and use the input to direct the operations.

ckurak
03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks again!

Gary,

It is obvious that I was not clear with c) above. I intend on using this as a "tool changer" as opposed to routing multiple items simultaneously. However, thanks for the info.

David,

OK, you have confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks. I wanted to know if, and how, I could do this before I spent the $$. :-)

Thanks,

Charles

Gary Campbell
03-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Charles...
Change c) above to: Use the Z to A duplicator and insert that file in the master. Good luck
Gary

12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Im having trouble changing my Z and my A {2 routers} with my old software version 2.2 vi,,,,,,4,3 would switch the heads in a program. i purchased a new computer w/vista and im now using version 3.4.16 software and i have tried but i can't make it work please help

beacon14
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm just going by the fill-in sheet and the command reference document, since I don't have an A axis to try it with, but I think it would be VI,,,,,,,A,Z (seven commas before the "A".)

Someone else may know better.

Gary Campbell
12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
William..
Have you activated the 4th axis? [VD] number to display {4}

In keyboard mode manual movement is [ALT]+[page up/page down]

to toolpath use the shopbot 2nd head postP.
Gary