PDA

View Full Version : Could someone toolpath this for me?

knight_toolworks
10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I hate to bug anyone but this 3d file needs some edge cleanup and cut3d can't do it. the curved outer edges come out with ripples. can the bit be run around the outside slope to clean up in aspire? and if so can I import the file into vcarve? of so I need it with a 3/4" ballnose and a 1" ballnose 12% stepover 6ips 1/2" depth
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1939753/flat%20scaled.stl

myxpykalix
10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I looked at your file in another program. Why couldn't you create a vector outline of the part and create a boundry and a vector toolpath to clean up the edges?

Another possibility is to go back to your original file and depending on what program you use increase the resolution onthe file because that is what is causing the jaggies to begin with.
It looks like you were taking a small file and blowing it up in size thus causing the pixilazation.

mitch_prest
10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I had a look at the file.. I am not sure you are going to be able to clean that up. The polygons are quite a mess.. a lot of them look pretty distorted, not just round the edges.. I tried bringing it in to artcam but even has trouble there. Took it into 3ds max to get a better look at it.
gonna try something else..

m

knight_toolworks
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes there may be some errors. but here is what I am talking about the edge has some ripple this is just the nature of cut3d. I need the bit to go around and clean the outside slope up. here is a link to a better picture
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/2d%20work/IMG_0156.jpg

myxpykalix
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
here is what i got when i traced it

if you want the dxf i can send it to you. Looking at the picture you posted since i started to work on this it looks like you have a problem in the (for lack of a better descriptive term) the 2 rail sweep of the file causing the dip in the surface, if infact that is a defect in the file

mitch_prest
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
i would try reducing your stepover in partworks3d
.. try running the first part of it at like 1% to see if that makes a big difference..

m

knight_toolworks
10-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I am not explaining it well. sorry about that. I don't mean a cutout that's easy. but if you look at the link on the angled side the bit leave some ripples. that's just the nature of the cut with cut3d and an angled slope. what I would like is the ballnose but to run around the outside slope and make it smooth. to get rid of the typical ripples you get from going back and forth in cut3d.
I have to cut this as fast as possible to get the job. so I can't change the stepover to any less.

cnc_works
10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I think that this is an issue with the initial resolution the file was created at and perhaps stepover. Mostly I think it is the initial resolution the file was created at, but 12% stepover is a little more than I cut for a smooth surface. Usually no more than 10% and down to even 7% or 8% for the best cut.

I looked at the stl file and really didn't see a problem other than poor resolution. I really don't see how to fix this problem unless there is some smoothing capabilities in Vcarve and then you might lose other sharp edges you need.

If you were lucky, than maybe the original file the stl was created from is OK and you just need to increase the resolution of the conversion

Donn

knight_toolworks
10-15-2009, 02:12 AM
I know they have an original file.
the flats I think are plenty clean for what they want. not sure if the edges are. if you could run the ballnose around the outside edge to smooth it. I think the stepover is about what they are used too. I don't even know if I can do it for what they are willing to spend. though it would not take much if any work on my part to run a sheet of these so I may just make less a hour on it.
the company they were using had a far more expensive machine but they had problems with diving at the ends of the cuts. but I also found they were only charging 45.00 a hour for the work.
how could a corporation that runs a komo cnc router charge only 45 a hour?
either that or they are snowing me.

rb99
10-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Would running a piece of sandpaper by hand along the offending edges be out of the question? (Until you can fix the dxf jaggies?)

RIB

myxpykalix
10-15-2009, 03:23 AM
that would be too easy...

tmerrill
10-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Steve,

I've posted a clean profile .eps file and a step by step method how to proceed in your post on the Vectric forum.

Tim

knight_toolworks
10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
yes I thought of the sandpaper too. it is foam so pretty easy to do. I will show the customer the sample Friday see how it goes.