PDA

View Full Version : Installation Tips

Support (Admin)
10-20-2003, 11:41 AM
If you get an error involving Cortona dll during the installation process, download and run the Cortona install from downloads page on the ShopBot website (http://www.shopbottools.com/download.htm). Look under Software > ShopBot Control Software > v3(windows). It's the last item in the list.This will install and register the driver for the 3D previewer and things should then work correctly.

grandpas@ix.netcom.com
10-21-2003, 02:25 PM
I downloaded the new version yesterday and installed it on the new Xp operating system. Just by chance I was setting up to run a part file that has operated for a couple of years. the values were set as they were for the old computer and DOS version. on the Mx or MY commands the movement was incorrect.
Called Tech support and had to get new X and Y value settings. Grant fixed it immediately. Don't see that the z value changed. Just a heads up on the new installation........... MEASURE TWICE BEFORE RUNNING PARTS FILES

grant@shopbottools.com
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
What Dale noticed is a good thing for folks to pay attention to. The way unit values work have changed. In the past, only the z axis represented the true unit value, while the x and y were both divided by four. Your unit values in the Windows software will be four times your old ones for x and y only. For instance, if your old unit value was 183.3466, which is common, your new value will be 733.386. It is always good practice after installing new control software to check and make sure your tool moves the appropriate distance before cutting anything very expensive, however. Good advice, Dale.

gerald_d
10-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Grant, this factor of times4 for x&y-axes only . . . . .would this also apply to early PRT models that had no gearboxes on any of the stepper motors?

tlempicke
10-22-2003, 07:13 AM
The old software had a routine built in to determine the unit values or to correct them. I can not find it in the new software. Is there a separate routine available to do this?

frank
10-22-2003, 11:08 AM
The times 4 factor is a change in the control software that is not related to the gearbox on the motor but is a holdover from the software that ran the cable drive tools. The old software had a routine for calibrating a cable drive tool that you could use to find your X and Y unit values. V3 has a list of .sbd default files that you can select the first time you launch the software or by typing "UR" in the yellow command box. The plan is to expand this list beyond the eight that are currently there, so that you should be able to simply pick your tool from the list and the correct unit values will be in the default file.

tlempicke
10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
The reason that I mentioned is that I built parts of my machine and the standard numbers are not going to work. We have the old numbers and they plugged right in and seem to be accurate.

Actually I thought that was a pretty slick routine. We used to use it with a dial indicator and found that we could get our tool really "right on the money".

Robert MUNDAY
10-27-2003, 08:09 AM
I tested the new software and immediately had a Preview problem. For multiple parts I've been toggling the 'FP' Y proportion from +1 to -1, inverting every other object for less scrap from a sheet of ply. The Windows software went mad and placed all sorts of weird circles when proportion is -1 (I think it didn't invert embedded PC commands)

bill.young
10-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey Robert,

How about sending a copy of the file and a description of the steps that made the problem show up to support@shopbottools.com (mailto:support@shopbottools.com)

Thanks,
Bill

pacoisa@cooptel.qc.ca
12-04-2003, 09:49 PM
<<If you get an error involving Cortona dll during the installation process, download and run the
Cortona install from downloads page on the ShopBot website. Look under Software > ShopBot
Control Software > v3(windows). It's the last item in the list.This will install and register the driver
for the 3D previewer and things should then work correctly.<<

Can't find the file?! Want to give a try...

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
12-06-2003, 08:26 PM
I've looked but can't find the minimum system requirements for the V3 SW. What are the minimum and ideal requirements?