PDA

View Full Version : Lithopane questions for Vcarve pro and photoVcarve?

myxpykalix
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I have d/l the demo but haven't opened it yet. Here is my question. I want to make a lithopane using a picture and also an element downloaded from the vectric forum. In the photovcarve video tutorials it doesn't show combining elements so that i could combine these 2 elements to make a lithopane. I would attach it here but its 2 megs its called "Frame002.zip" located at: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444
about 1/3 down from top of page. and this picture (attached)

Can anyone look at this and tell me if it could be done? Thanks

joenagel
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Jack,

Yes you can combine the two files. What you need to do is set up your photo and tool paths in Photo vcarve. Then instead of saving the .sbp files you simply do a file/save as and save it as a .pvc.
Then open the frame file in Vcarve pro and import the .pvc file of your photo. All of the tool paths from Photo vcarve will be included in the import and show up in the toolpath list.

You will need to delete the .75em roughout and .125 center finish toolpaths in vcarve pro as those two are created to cut out the center of the frame and I'm assuming that is where you would like to put your litho.

Joe

tony_mac
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Jack,

There's a Tutorial (Video and a PDF Manual) avaialble from the Vectric web site that explains how to import PhotoVCarve files into VCarve Pro.

It's the 4th tutorial down the page > VCarve Pro Tutorials (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/support_vcw_tutorials.htm#vcp_tutorials)

As Joe said, it's very easy to combine the toolpaths for a lithophane inside a vcarved design.

There's also a very useful video tutorial explaining how to limit the toolpaths in PhotoVCarve inside a specific region such as the oval shape of your design.

Removing background detail from pictures (http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=594#594)

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions or need assistance.

Tony

myxpykalix
11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I downloaded the trial loaded up the pic per instructions. It basically only gave me options to see a preview of the pic carved in wood and what i saw didn't look good and i'm sure due to the peramiters i selected. I used the "invert colors" check box because i thought i remembered from a tutorial that was what to do for a lithopane. I tried it also withoput the invert.
Here is what i got. I left all settings alone when loading picture, using 60 degree v bit for cutting, material thickness is .25 depth of cut was .15. This looks almost as if it is just a roughing pass preview? I thought i followed the tutorial, the program seems pretty intuitive. I also tried the preview using the tool 1/8th" ballnose and preview didn't look much better.

myxpykalix
11-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Is there any way someone who owns V carve or photoV could take that picture and make it into a file 8X9 that i could load up and cut? This would allow me to see what this program could do for me for lithopanes. Is that too presumptious to ask for that? The preview I made put the watermark in it and i'd rather not waste a piece of corian if it is going to cut that watermark into the picture. This looks like it might be a pretty neat package. If anyone could do that for me i'd appreciate it much. Thank you

terryd
11-02-2006, 07:35 PM
I only charge $180 per hour. Thats what I got the bot for Jack, making money. The only way I could make money was to take the time required and learn the software. It takes time and if your willing to make that investment, as seriously as you made the cash investment for the equipment then you will realize the great potential of the machine you have. Apologies for sounding curt but I do think your last request was very presumptious and is pushing the "brotherhood of the forum" a little.

TerryD

paco
11-02-2006, 07:38 PM
If you want to see some nice examples, visit the VETRIC forum (http://www.vectric.com/forum/).

As for testing the softwares, I believe you have some trial files to machine.

myxpykalix
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Terry,
I guess my perception of help and yours is different. If this is as easy a program to use then creating a file shouldn't take someone a few minutes to do. If that is asking too much, then please disregard my request. On the other hand when asked in this forum for info that i could contribute on spirals and indexers i went and took pictures wrote detailed explainations that took 10-15 min to research and post and thought nothing of using the programs and info i had to do that to help someone else. Isn't that what this IS all about? If I was going to use this file to make money then i would see your point.If its about money, then anyone who could make me this one file please email me with a price to do that. Thank you

scottcox
11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Jack,

I tried Photo V-carve and wasn't really pleased with the outcome. I think it states on the website that the details are much better on 'large' carvings. My 4"x5" trial just wasn't able to capture the details in the drawing.

Anyway... I've decided to talk to some local artists about converting my photos to line drawings, so I could v-carve them. One understood the v-carving concept right away and her work should carve nicely, but the other just didn't get it and instead tried to convince me that his way (thin-lined, not really v-carve material) was best.

Pick your poison. ;-)

myxpykalix
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Well the vcarvings i've seen (signs) looked great made with this, I haven't seen a carved picture up close (hence the request) but the lithopanes look great that have been made with this.
There is a free app that will convert your photo's into drawings. Ask brady, i bet he knows what it is.

kaaboom_99
11-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Somethings should never be said on a plane....

Hi Jack!!!
I just spent 10 minutes to attempt what it is you are trying to achieve. The photo is not ver hi res, so it looks "grainy". But yes, you can combine the two programs.
the settings for the Photo Vcarve software were
60* bit x 0.250" file cut to a depth of 0.035" with line spacing set a 111% and contrast set to 100%.
Image size was 10 x 8" once I deleted (made transparent) all the white surround of the image.
Once the image look reasonable, save as. Then opened the file with the specified frame, grouped all the vectors, import the pvc file of the image, then adjusted the frame size to accomodate.
Hope this helps you in your endevours.

kaaboom_99
11-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry Jack, those instructions were for a Photo V-Carved image.
For a litho, settings were to cut to a depth of 0.150" uing a 1/32" ball mill with line spacing @ 10%
Here is that image

myxpykalix
11-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Well looking at those images it looks like they both turned out very nice! I will take your "recipe" and try to duplicate it. Did you do this in 2 stages (roughing/finishing passes)? I thought i read that for a litho it could be done in one pass. The image i posted was resized and stripped down to under 50k to fit in the forum, hence the grainy quality i suspect. This helps a great deal, I thank you for your input here. Since I have the trial version and to use pictures other than those supplied it imprints a watermark. Do you know if i created this would that watermark be cut in the litho also?
Thanks again!

gwilson
11-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I think the software you thinking of is www.inkscape.org (http://www.inkscape.org)

kaaboom_99
11-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey Jack,
WYSIWYG is exceptionally true with these 2 pieces of software, so zooming in will show you exactly what to expect from your tool paths.

The exact process for the litho is determined by material thickness, size and available tooling.
On thicker materials, I do run a roughing pass to within 0.050" of my finished depth (depending on size once again). Then I save that .sbp file and label accordingly as a roughing file. I then will pick my finish tooling, edit the tool parameters to cut to my finish depth. (You must keep track of this. Imagine cutting with a 1/16" tool to a finished depth of 0.225" (for 0.250" material)in one pass).

I then save this file as a finish.sbp file to be cut ONLY AFTER the roughing pass is done.
For the sake of posting and testing, I just use the smallest tooling and edit for the max. depth.

As for cutting a litho in a single pass, Yes you can. I have done this on larger sizes, thin and soft material (polyethalene <sp>) with a 1/8" ball mill made for cutting steel.

As for the "watermark", I am unfamiliar with what that is. But if it is in the image, the software will use it.

john_david
11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Jack

Yes the water mark will cut into the file so dont waste the material, There are other people than Terry that might make your file for testing purpose,and to evaluate the actual cutting and output, if not on this forum then on the vectric forum.

Good Luck
JD

kaaboom_99
11-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey Jack
You should check out the Vectric forum where there is a plethora of knowledge on any question you may have regarding this software.
Here is a link: http://www.forum.vectric.com/
Hope this helps you out.

burchbot
11-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Jack
Join the Vectric forum and ask on there. I sure one of us can get you going. You will be able to download larger files there and that will give us more to work with. If you want to do test you can use cheap dollar store white plastic cutting boards and save your corian.
Dan