PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator CS

woodturner
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks in advance. Trying to cut some parts for a sign co. Asked them to save their file in AutoCad Rev. 14 .dxf format. Not toolpathing in PW successfully. Missing holes, stopping before finished, etc. They're designing in Adobe Illustrator CS. Any suggestions of what I should ask them to do (or do I keep re-drawing it in AutoCad myself?). Appreciate your input!

brian_harnett
11-08-2005, 09:22 PM
PW will import adobe EPS vector files fine, I use Illustrator CS myself but dont use PW much anymore but I have imported EPS files fine. Have them save it that format and you should have no problem.

robtown
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Have them send you the .ai file (The Illustrator CS file) you should be able to import it directly into PW.

knedert
11-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi all~
I, too have an Illustrator CS to Part Wizard question.
When I'm in Part Wizard and go to:
File > Import > Vector Data
I have been getting the following messages:
"The EPS/AI file does not have a valid header"
followed by:
"Failed to import data from file C:folder\filename.ai

Any suggestions as to what I should be doing in Illustrator to make this problem go away?

paco
11-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi Rose!

Try saving your AI file in an older version first; say 8... ArtCAM filters are'nt very "up-to-date"... if you can't get AI to import (but you should), try EPS with font(s) saved as vectors...

This should help.

matt_r
06-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I want to bring this problem up again. Is Delcam or Shopbot looking into this problem? Some people seem to have no problem importing .ai/.eps files into PW2, but I have had my fair share of problems with this, especially lately. I always 'work around' it by asking for the file to be saved as an older version, or I bring it into another program and massage it until I get something PW2 can read. But come on, shouldn't there be a patch for this or something? Something to update the filters.

-matt

simon
06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi
I go all the way back to ai 5.5 to import into PW.
I wish there was any way around those irritating "Are you sure?" messages that take up your time and patience...
That's my grumble for the week : (
Simon

drodda
06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't worry the same thing goes for autocad DXF files. You have to save it to a version 2000 DXF to get it into PW2. I also have the Illustrator CS version and have yet to figure out why a software (PW2) claims to be compatible with another but forgets to mention that you need a version that is 7 years old? Something as simple as the importer should be the most up to date thing about a software. Who cares about all the neat new features if you can't even get the vectors into the software without standing on your head?

This question seems to keep coming up without any reaction from Delcam or Shopbot?

Dave

srwtlc
06-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Vcarve Pro is coming soon!

paco
06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Not so long ago I had a problem getting some AI and/or EPS into VCW... 24 hours later (or so) problem almost solved, questions answered. Feeling good.

ArtCAM? Never get back with any reply about it... still waiting... not! Better things to do!

My real solution for this problem was to get a software that would "almost" handle "any" file, COREL does a good job with almost all file I get from may types of people.

I don't think SB has to be blamed for this.

OH! And V Carve PRO is coming out soon (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/whats_new/VCarvePro/New_in_V3.htm)!

gene
06-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Paco,
I had some problems with the ai and eps files also. what i was doing wrong was that i didn't save the ai art as lines and curves. I open the files and do the art in ai in corel 12 then save it as curves and lines NOT text. then i open vcarve and open the files and do the carving .
It works good for me. i hope this wil be helpful. Gene

paco
06-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Yes, that's what I do too.

ArtCAM seem to prefer EPS while VETRIC like AI. Still, both can handle the two formats depending on where they come from and how they we're saved/expoted. AI are better exported/saved in a V8 or less version for both programs.

No magic here; it doesn't always work but help to know.

No one will promise to open/import everything.

Same is true for PDF, DOC, DXF and so on...

mikejohn
06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
This problem is with us always.
Maybe we could have a thread only for file conversions. Then, when we overcome a particular problem, we could post the solution.
Titles like "3D.dxf to ArtCam via Rhino", or "text from Corel to VCarve Wizard".
After a while we would have a library of solutions that would be relatively easy to search for.

..................Mike

gene
06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi Mike ,
I found the solution on the vectric forum for the save as lines and curves. You know , if we cant figure it out then we go back to the instructions. I get whAT your'e saying, There is alot of info on the forum's . When i can i find a relating topic to the problem i am having and read up on it . alot of the time i'll figure it out and if i can't then i will post the question. Then someone comes to the rescue Thanks Everyone....