PDA

View Full Version : Using a Colombo 10 hp spindle

skirider3@hotmail.com
12-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Has anyone used a 10 hp Colombo spindle on their Shopbot. I weighted it and it weights 55 lbs on a standard bathroom scale.

bjwat@comcast.net
12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
John,
You can add just about any type of spindle that you want...But you're gonna spend some ducks rebuilding the X car, Y car and beefing up the Z. You will no doubt have to run under 3IPS if you are using stock steppers in order to maintain steps. I have a 5HP Colombo on my machine and another tool as my other Z. The 5HP from what I remember is around 30#s...A 10HP is almost twice that. You are going to get some deflection using the stock rails for sure. I am not sure if the 7.2:1 Z gearbox for the 5HP will move the 10HP. A standard 3.6:1 is definately a no-go. Also, you will need heavy springs on the Z to overcome the weight and help the Z up.

If you are serious about using it, design your own gantry for the 10HP using Bishop/Wisecarver parts or industrial AL extrusions. Unfortunately I can't advise you on what steppers to use on your Z.

...Or sell it and buy a 5HP. I haven't run into material yet that the 5HP can handle.

-Brady

sheldon dingwall (Unregistered Guest)
01-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Brady, did you have to beef up the Y car for your 5 hp spindle and second Z?

Brady Watson
01-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I didn't have to...but I most likely will be in the near future. Just a few braces here and there. For the most part, I haven't experienced any noticable deflection in the tool. The 2nd Z is very light, so I imagine that the combined weight is near that of running 2 Porter Cables.

-Brady