PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Cabinet Vision?

jhicks
10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I work with a cabinet maker who has Cabinet Vision and uses it for detail drawings, renderings, motion video kitchen tours, cut lists, etc. To take it to the next level, one needs to spend $20,000.00 or so for the converter which generates G code cut files, labels etc..
My question is, does anyone out there know this software? and is it possible to export drawing files with their .cvj extension into auto cad, or any other cad package to convert it to a cut file?
Or perhaps save the files under a non proprietary DXF, or any other useable format.

Brady Watson
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think that you can get it into Insignia's Cabinetmaker plugin & it pulls in all the toolpaths & nests them on separate sheets for you with 2 clicks of the mouse...I don't use it personally, but I know that a few others do...although I doubt that they frequent this board.

-B

patricktoomey
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
I have Cabinet Vision but have not spent the huge money to move up to CNC. I have problems with the base software which was $7,000 so I have no intention of giving them more money for something I don't like. I have seen demos of Artcam Insignia with the cabinet plugin and KCDW for design. That solution is cheaper than Cabinet Vision and looks much better. When it's feasible I will be switching to that setup. For the time being I was forced to write my own tool to take CV cabinet lists, create the parts, nest them and generate the toolpath code.

btw, I forgot to add this bit...
CV has the software locked up tight as a drum. There is no way (I've looked hard) to export the drawings in any usable format. All you can do is save to their proprietary formats. About the only thing you can save in regular formats is a list of cabinets with their dimensions, cutlists (usually wrong) and reports like bids (usually wrong or incomplete).

robtown
10-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Where I worked previously they use CV, hate it. Locked down tight a a drum, you can export dxf files, but they are messy and useless, support sucks, and everything else Patrick said.