PDA

View Full Version : Part Wizard 2 ?

stargategfx
05-01-2004, 03:03 AM
To all those who have seen the new version, how about posting some of the new features?
Any rumors on release date or cost?

billp
05-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Boyd,
I was moving around a lot during the session on PW2 but I do remember Gordon showing a bunch of new editing tools. I think welding shapes was among them, as well as now being able to locate one "bridge" (tab in Shopbot language..) within a toolpath. I also think trimming was included.
It shouldn't be too long a wait to see the real details however as they said it would be released within a few weeks, and the upgrade price will be $100 from PW1.
Maybe some of the others who attended that session can add to my short list of newer features....

woodworks4u
05-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Boyd, I think the most useful new feature to me is being able to set your text on a curve and adjust the kerning.

bjenkins
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Boyd,

I didn't take very detailed notes but I will share some of what I remember from the presentation on Part Wizard 2 at the Jamboree. I was very impressed with the improvements because it addressed some of the most frustrating gaps in the functionality.

The biggest thing in my book is the addition of welding or merging capabilities. For example, like other more capable design tools, you can now merge a rectangle and an oval to get a nice sign blank. Illustrator has intersection, union, etc.

In general several new design tools were added. I don't remember them all, but this is some of them: polygon tool, enhanced trim capability, mirror tool, enhanced alignment capabilities, and a block copy function. Block copy allows you to automatically paste a block of copies of a selection of geometry. For example, you want to replicate a designed object into a block of copies that is 5 objects across and 3 down. Viola, you have 15 copies pasted in that block array.

They said it would be ready to ship in about 3 weeks. It's software so figure at least 5 (I'm an engineer). As mentioned upgrades are $100. My impression was that it was well worth it.

Another thing I remember is that ArtCam brought the code base up compatible with ArtCam7 and will keep the Part Wizard code base updated from now on. That should lead to good stability and support.

That's a few highlights.

stargategfx
05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks Guys!
But it doesn't sound like much of an improvement over what I've been using already,a combination of Coreldraw 11(in my opinion the best text editing tool of all time) and Parts Wizard.
Anything added such as layering or the ability to V-cut more text?

bjenkins
05-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Sorry, but I think it is a no on both counts. V-carving text is still limited to 10 fonts. You can place text on a circle or oval and position it. If it is the right fonts I believe you can v-carve the curved text automatically. You are right though it still doesn't compare for full power design of complex graphics. The big advantage is that you can do simple things in one environment and rapidly move all the way through the process to a cut file.

bud_wilson
05-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Total newbie here with a very elementary question.
When I am in the process of designing a part in PW, sometimes,not always, my tool bar goes inactive, all except the "Windows" and "Help" prompts. It will become active when I am in 3D but not in 2D. What am I missing?

stickman
06-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Has anything come about with the Part Wizard Two?

phil_o
07-01-2004, 01:29 PM
I am told by tech support that it will be released next week. I've ordered the upgrade.

stickman
01-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Part Wizard 2 Problem

I am unable to V-carve any text with PW 2. In the menu, it says the highlighted ones will V-carve, but I don't have any highlighted ones and I was able to do all of them in the past.

Any suggestions?

paco
01-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Jay!

Before what or when?

I don't have PW2 installed right now... look in it's respective folders if you can find one about fonts; should be AFNs along with their GIFs I believe... anyway something must have changed; have you made any recently? Have you try re-installing?... since this can be faster than trying to solve something too mysterious...

And for #@!? sake, have you considered V Carve Wizard to get rid of that 10 fonts limit?!

btk
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
For some reason, when I create a part in Part Wizard, the stock is created in the negative X and Y quadrant (i.e. from 0,0 to -96,-48).
I can rotate the stock to get it back to proper orientation, however is there a way to get it to default back to the normal direction.

Thanks,
Brian

paco
01-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Brian,

you can setup your origin from here (when your start PW for a new job) on all thoses points (red circles)...

...I'll bet your are set to the upper right one.

btk
01-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Paco,

I am not at the office (where I am having this issue),however that must be the problem.
I will fix later.

Thanks,
Brian

stickman
01-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Paco,

In the previous version of Part Wizard I was able to V-Carve the 10 fonts. Now, I can't V-carve any of them. It doesn't highlight them nor will it allow me to do centerlines on them, it says Artcam won't allow.

I downloaded V-Carve Wizard and I am wanting to cut out the examples and show them to prospective customers. I am all for the software, all for it!

paco
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Jay,

re-installing might fix this... or get help from SB about it.

stickman
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Everyone...
10-22 (return to station)

My bad, I was not using the correct font. Scott from Shopbot alerted me that the V-carved fonts are at the TOP of the list. Thanks Scott!

Egg on my face.

Jay

paco
01-19-2006, 04:43 PM

How about a defragmentation of YOUR hard drive?!

redd
03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know if you can hide a tool path in Part Wizard 1 or 2? I am building up a lot of tool paths in one drawing, and it would be helpful to hide and but delete some of the tool paths to get a better view of the work.

Redd

kerrazy
03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Go to the toolpaths tab look beside the tool path you wish to hide you will see a pair of check boxes for that says show in 2D/3D uncheck the 2d box and you are good to go:

redd
03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Dale,
Thank you for the info. I tried it out, and this will help a lot!
I have one other question. In Part Wizard 2 (toolpath section) under drilling, it mentions peck drilling, but I can't find a place to select it. Does peck drilling exist in PW2?

Thanks,
Don

kerrazy
03-08-2006, 04:07 PM
this is a a bit of text they forgot to remove when they paered down the features from Insignia, here is what peck drilling box looks like in Insignia

Dale

redd
03-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks Dale, I take that as "it is not available" in PW2.
Don

kerrazy
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
that is a correct assumption Don.
Dale