PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for Vcarving wider strokes...

john_l
12-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I have done a couple dozen smaller Vcarved signs with Vcarve Pro and I love the results.

I am wondering if there are any special tips, strategy, or recommended bits for Vcarving much larger signs that have much wider strokes to the letters than the 6-8" high serif letters that I have been working on.

The only bits I have used thus far for this are the 90 and 60 degree V bits. Would a shallower V be the answer to wider strokes? Slow production down and go to a ball nose? Any help or tips are appreciated.

John

rcnewcomb
12-29-2007, 10:04 AM
You want a larger angle.

Suggestion: Create some tool entries in your database with angles such as 90,100,110,120, 130, 140, 150 and preview the results.

Then you can go somewhere like Gerber (http://www.gspinc.com/default.asp?contentID=253) and know what bit to purchase to give the desired result.

pfulghum
12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Magnate.net has a 120 Degree V grooving bit. 2" Dia. Love it for the big stuff.

-- pat

andre
12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I got a 120 bit from eagle america
http://eagleamerica.com/v-groove--plunge-lettering-bits/p/132-0422/

john_l
01-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks all,

I didnt even know that wide angles like that were out there. I get other sign guys in here that want me to carve 14-16" high letters in both sides of 1" sign foam.

If you guys remember what you paid for the cutters please post it. I am particularly needing a 120deg and a 150deg X whatever width is available. I will also make some calls next week.

jimmya
01-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Check this site out very very good prices.

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_sign.html#V-Groove_Anchor

jhicks
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
dont forget Hersaf insert cutters are available in many angles and once you pay for the head and arbor many of the blades are interchangeable with other angles on V bits plus the diameters are nice and wide like 2+ inches so wide fonts require fewer passes.

rcnewcomb
01-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I recall that the Gerber bits were around $65 and and MCLS bits were around $28.

In my experience the Gerber bits were far better than the MCLS bits and well worth the extra expense. They started out sharper and held their edge much longer.

john_l
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
That dish cutter bit on the MLCS site looks pretty usefull too... maybe for a large area clear.

Are there any concerns, balance or otherwise, with using the interchangeable cutter units on a spindle?

I'm sure you can't get them cheaper anyway but has anyone ever figured out who actually makes Gerber router bits (wink)?

Thanks!

jhicks
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
John, I use Hersaf on my 5 HP columbo with 1/2" arbors. No problem on this end except the angle isn't always exactly 90 or 120 as specified.Maybe 119.5 0r 121. I think this is true with all V bits though. I find You also have to dial in depth and width because their dimensions dont always add up correctly. They have told me that my bit library set up will give me a more accurate dimension based on the angle and width than their catalog so test before using when incorporating multiple step overs and depths on a single font.
The good news is once you buy the blade holder, replacement is cheap and easy to maintain sharp cutters.