PDA

View Full Version : How to design .25 inch holes to be cut in partworks?

eelnad
03-10-2009, 03:15 PM
hello, i finished designing a cutting file but i need to include several .25 inch holes to be cut/drilled through the material. i will be using a .25 inch upcut spiral bit. the holes are for wooden multigroove dowel pins. i am not sure how to go about this in partworks. i figured i could create a .25 inch circle and move it to the location i want on the part i designed but it would be very hard to "see" it unless i magnified the design enormously and at that scale it would be hard to place them in their proper locations. is there an easier or more proper way of doing this?

Brady Watson
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Daniel,
You can use ANY size circle (and pretty sure any other vector shape) and PWorks will automatically drill the center point of it, using the Drilling machining strategy. So, if it makes seeing the overall design easier with a 3" circle, then go for it. PWorks will find the center and drill it just as if it was 1/4" in diameter.

-B

kerrazy
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
To add to Brady's point,
This is a useful strategy, as it does not care if the hole is the same size diameter as the drill bit. On occasion you may find using a tool diameter and area clearing the same size diameter hole is not allowed. This tool-path strategy overcomes this common hiccup.
Dale

eelnad
03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
i think i understand what you guys are saying. is this drilling strategy in the "create toolpath" section of partworks?

Brady Watson
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM

eelnad
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
AHHH! thank you sir.

dubliner
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Dee Swan, :-) that took me a few seconds I like it, any relation to Sarah Bellum?

mikeacg
03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Daniel,

If you know the locations for the holes you can enter the x and y values in the window that opens when you click on Draw Circle under Create Vectors.

Mike