PDA

View Full Version : Corel 9 to Shopbot Software

bronzeo@swbell.net
10-11-2001, 05:01 AM
I'm new to the BB and considering a SB, I don't understand the Corel to Vector Cam transition. Does the file leave Corel as 2D and rebuilt in Vector, or do you have to render in Corel as 3D, and Vector just translates into cut lines. I am a seasoned Corel user, but Corel 9 has no 3D capibilities. Only emulations. Their is a Corel 3D and/or Bryce by Corel. I'm lost here....Thanks, Jack Davis

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
10-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Hello Jack,
Most of your comments above are correct,
Corel is a 2d program with 3d visuals.
vector is 3d program, a 2d program cannot create
the geometry to send to another program to make
a 3d.file..
As for 3D if you do a search in the forum you
will probably find enough info to draw a opinion.

imserv@imsrv.com
10-13-2001, 01:27 PM
Jack, to use Corel with VectorCam, either save the file as a DXF or Copy-Paste into Vector. The Copy-paste may or may not work, depending on the version of Corel that you have and if you have installed the patches. This was covered at other places on this forum.

The file leaves Corel as 2D, and then Vector can offset the geometry for cuttersize, clear cut out areas (pocketing) and set depths of cut to create flat parts. The contours can also be used with the Vector 3D functions like the Swept curve pocket, extrusions, and Skin surfaces.

Vector creates an SBP program file directly from the drawing, allowing you to control the direction and order of selection and cutting, unrelated to the method or order of steps that were used to create the drawing. It will also let you move the coordinate axis or zero point to any position with respect to the drawing so that you can set your Shopbot in a corner or in the middle of the part, whichever is more convenient for you. The SBP code will then be from the new origin point, again, independent from the way the drawing was created.

Hope that helps.

Fred Smith - IMService