PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use SignLab 5 or FlexiSign

wesday@stvleaze.net
02-15-2002, 01:24 AM
I already use Signlab and also have Flexisign. Do either of these work with shopbot? If so, what are the pros and cons verses a cad program?

Thanks,
Wes

joecrumley
02-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Your are using a CAD with either of these programs. Beyond this, you need a G code writer and the mental preparedness to set the parameters for you're machine.

I use Flexi Sign & RAMS

Will send pix if you like.

Joe

billp
02-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Wes, I believe there is a Signlab driver available on the Shopbot web page which will let you generate Shopbot files directly without having to do the G-code conversion process. I'm not sure which version of Signlab you use, but I think the driver is for version 5..

Mayo
02-15-2002, 01:35 PM
If you have the router module with your version of Signlab, it will automatically generate your offsets (tool paths) for your bit diameters.
Then it's just a matter of creating shopbot files of those offsets, using the shopbot driver which is available in the download section of the ShopBot site. It creates the .sbp file and no conversion is required. Then just run the file from your shopbot software.

One handy feature is being able to view what the tool paths look like in Signlab before cutting the file. You can see ahead of time what effects will happen by using various diameters of bits.

I also like the various styles of fills that can be used for removing material from backgrounds.

I generally find the user interface of CAD programs to be much less intuitive or user friendly than programs made for sign making or lettering. Maybe it's because I don't understand the terminology used or that I don't think like an engineer. Maybe I just haven't tried using CAD programs that many times. A lot of it will be whatever you get used to. Find software that operates similar to the way you expect to create something.

Then again, it might depend on what you're wanting to design and create with your software.
If you wanted to design a chair, you may find it easier to do in a CAD program than in a Signmaking program.

Assuming you have used Signlab for making signs in the past, you would probably find it easier to design signs in it than in a CAD program.

wesday@eaze.net
02-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Mayo,

So are you saying I can't just cut from signlab? Running the program with the shopbot driver loaded it gives me the option to choose the shopbot as the output device with all the options for depth,tool path etc.
I don't have my shopbot yet so I can't try it.

Thanks,
Wes

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
02-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Wes, Yes you can run it from the Signlab program,
direct or indirect, you use signlabs drivers or the shopbot dxf.file conversion drivers..I personally prefer the shopbot drivers, because of the tabbing and also I find that they work better.. my2bits...