PDA

View Full Version : Utility Suggestions?

ryan_slaback
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
My school district ok'ed the purchase of a Shopbot for me for my lab. Currently we use CADKey as our drafting program. I would love to switch to Autocad but that is cost prohibitive. CADKey outputs a .prt file and if I understand the manual correctly I need to convert to a .dxf to import it into Parts Wizard. Does anyone out there know of a good utility I could buy that will convert my students .prt files into .dxf files so that the students would not have to draw it again.
Thanks!

kfitz
07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Congrats of being able to get a ShopBot for your lab! Wish I had one when I was teaching.

CADKey can't export a dxf file? I think Camel Software used to have a prt to dxf converter. Can CADKey export ai? Part Wizard also takes ai, and it actually works better than dxf in my experience.

ryan_slaback
07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Nevermind everyone. I am an idiot. I was attempting to save as a dxf. However, I can export as a dxf just find. Please ignore me in the future, I will be in the corner shaking my head if you need me.

kfitz
07-29-2006, 02:30 PM
No problem Ryan; BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

steve4460
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Guys

How come your not learning how to use the partwizzard ?. I am making cabinet parts or signs for several cabinet shops around here ,and the precition is there . Part wizzard is so easy to work with.
and you dont need to go and convert your files and then look at them in the editor to make shure that everything is right .
All I am saying is "KISS" .
Bot on dudes .

steve4460
07-29-2006, 11:33 PM
OOps so my spelling suck after a case of beer, but it's the thought that counts.

frank_hav
07-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Ryan

Are you creating 2D or 3D objects?

Have you looked at Acad LT?

I use Cadkey, Acad 2006, Acad LT 2006, Solidwoks, Alphacad, and Partwizard. All work well for most things and some work great for specific things.