PDA

View Full Version : Photo conversion software

phil_o
01-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I get a gift catalog - "Plow and Hearth". They offer a keepsake box with a laser engraved image taken from a photo sent in by the customer. I've been trying to find out what software is used to convert the photo to a cut file. Is anyone familiar with this product?

billp
01-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Phil,
Most laser users use Corel Draw. They then set up their laser as a new printer, and when they have a photo they want to engrave they just say "print" but they designate the laser as the printer for that job.

phil_o
01-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I take it there's no way to use this method with a CNC router.

mikejohn
01-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Phil
As I understand it, the laser pulses, so in fact it burns a pixelated bitmap.
Therefore, as Bill says, its like a special dot matrix printer.
........Mike

edcoleman
01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Phil:

Bill and Mike are exactly correct. I have a laser system and you do not have to create "cut" files or toolpaths, the interface is simply a windows printer driver. Whatever software you are using to view/edit an image you can simply select "print" from the file menu and the laser will process the image.

-Ed

cnc_works
01-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Along this same line, there is a program called Imagecarve (not the only one, I think) that produces a photo like affect by rastering with minor variations in Z to produce light and dark areas. This is not a relief or a lithophane like method.

Does anyone know if this is reproduceable in Rhino or Artcam? And, of course, how?

Donn

paco
01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Donn,
I would guess that yo could set the Z total variation to a minimum to achieve a similar result... could use the built-in TIF converter too...

billp
01-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Donn,
Some months ago there was a posting in which someone briefly explained how to take a bitmap and turn it into a low level relief in Rhino. It only a few mouse clicks, and had something to do with "height field from Bitmap"which may give you a lead in doing the search.
Theoretically I believe you can do what you'd like right within the Shopbot software using the ".Tiff converter". Years ago some people were having luck using the converter to get the kind of image it sounds that you are looking for. A problem was that it was a LOT of trial and error and there wasn't much input allowed other than "how large should the black/white pixels be ?", etc. maybe someone else can chime in here and add more info...

garyb
01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Here's one I did with the tiff converter about 6 months ago from a jpeg image.
Is this what you had in mind?

paco
01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Gary,
how did you achieve the two different shades?

Brady Watson
01-29-2005, 08:03 PM
He used a 2 color laser...hee hee!

Paco, the lighter tone is the raw material ~ the dark areas are where the laser actually burned.

-Brady

paco
01-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Laser... OKay... now I get it! My idea was that it has been done with a router...

garyb
01-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Is that 2 color laser on the same shelf with the hens teeth?

Sorry guys its cut with a V 90 bit in the router.
The lighter color of course is the light color of Maple, the shades are obtained by the amount of stain laid down and the techique of removing the excess by sanding.
gary

paco
01-29-2005, 11:46 PM

cnc_works
01-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, tried the tiff converter...300k lines of code later for a 4" X 6" cut. Any documentation on this converter anywhere?

Recommendations for specs on tiff file to be converted?

X,Y, and Z questions are straightforward.

Now, pixel size in inches, I'm not relating to, though I see if I reduce it, my finished picture gets smaller.

I think I get "white depth" & "black depth", though any further clarifications would be welcome.

Bill, the heightfield from bitmap in Rhino is a relief type image with varying height according to varying greyscale, similar to the process to do lithophanes in Artcam.

Donn

normand
01-30-2005, 01:30 PM
search for " zsurf "in this site

garyb
01-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Donn you have mail

daniel_carr
01-30-2005, 05:22 PM
VS3D can be used to engrave images. One technique is to use a coated material (aluminum with a black anodized finish, for example). Then import the image, converting pixel brightness into relief surface height (with bright points low and dark points high).

Then run a "peck" (pogo-stick) cutting path using a V-bit. So, essentially, the brighter the pixel, the deeper the V-bit goes at that point. And the deeper the V-bit goes, the larger the area of exposed bright aluminum. So the lighter-color pixels end up with larger holes showing bright aluminum against a black background. Like this:

And VS3D can generate a nice preview image (above) showing what the finished part will look like.

PS: VS3D can do lithophanes in a similar fashion, and VS3D also has laser capabilities (as well as Shopbot Part File output).

zeykr
01-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Deskart is another package that's supposed to do this. Have not tried it.
http://www.deskam.com/deskart.html

Imagecarve is at http://www.imagecarve.com/
Some examples made with imagecarve are at http://www.a1digitalart.com/pictures1.htm
and http://www.emwoodwork.7p.com/digitalimages.html

waltie
01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Take a look at MeshCam
It's what I use, and after trying most all the other programs, this is the best I have found.
They have a 60 day trial

paul_n
01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Here is another program that offer much the same effects. It does create g-code, which works well with the SB G-code converter. Demo is also available.
http://www.imagetogcode.com/

Paul

Brady Watson
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
I believe Mach2 also has this function built into it. JPG and BMP to G-code.

-Brady

bruce_clark (Unregistered Guest)
02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
While everybody is chiming in with programs to convert images to cutfiles, ShopBot is also coming out with a new converter. It is windows based, no longer ties the cut size to the image size and supports a LOT more cutting options than the older version (and a few pay for programs) PLUS it will export a DXF surface.

If all goes well, it should debut at the Austin, TX Camp ShopBot. So far most indicators are good and have had a fairly positive response from people who have seen/used it.

Again, the cost to current ShopBotters (and future 'Botters as well) is FREE. NADA. Nothing.

Bruce Clark

PS This in itself is a GREAT reason to attend the Austin, TX Camp Shopbot--plus you get to see Wayne's awesome workshop!

phil_o
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Bruce, how can I find out more about Shopbot's new converter? I haven't seen anything about it before your message. I can't attend the Austin, TX Camp Shopbot.

02-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Phil,

Send me an email and I will tell you about it further.

bwclark <at> centurytel <dot> net

Bruce

daniel_carr
02-02-2005, 08:20 PM
There certainly are quite a few image conversion programs out there. It sounds like some convert to G-Code, some convert to DXF/STL, and some do both. They all do basically the same thing - that is, they map image brightness to surface height. The brighter the pixel, the higher the resulting surface at that point.

Some programs can not handle very large images and must sub-sample them (reduce the number of pixels) before being able to "swallow" them. The sub-sampling reduces the amount of detail present in the image. It would be interesting to try loading a big image (like 1024x1024 pixels) into some of the different programs and see how well they handle it.

In my experience, the image conversion is often of little use if you are not able to manipulate the resulting surface. If for example, you used a photograph of a person's face, the resulting surface would have sunken-in eyebrows if their eyebrows were darker than the surrounding skin.

Some programs let you see the resulting 3D surface before generating G-code. VS3D allows additional sculpting and manipulation to be performed on such surfaces before cutting. For example, you could use the sculpting tools to lift eyebrows up to the desired height.

Another problem when dealing with images (especially lower resolution images) is "jaggies" or "stair-stepping". When a line is drawn in an image (or on a computer screen) if the line is not perfectly horizontal or vertical, then it will have stair-steps. This is the resulting artifact when the line transitions from one row or column of pixels to another. VS3D has fully-automatic "anti-aliasing" algorithms which reduce the stair steps.

And VS3D also has a tool path previewer that will show an accurate visual representation of what the surface will look like after cutting. This is a big time and material saving feature since you can abort bad cutting schemes before you even begin cutting.

So, even though there are many programs on the market that can work with images, you could get vastly superior (or inferior) results from different programs and different images.

http://www.DesignsComputed.com/vs3d

daniel_carr
02-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Regarding the programs that import images and output tool paths (G-Code or whatever), there is one more factor to consider.

If the program's calculations do not take into account the the 3D shape of the cutting bit, then I would think the output would be of marginal use.

So my suggestion would be to choose a program that will utilize the 3D tool bit geometry when calculating the tool path.

02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Mr Carr,

I agree. IF you use a lot of bitmap images to generate cutting files, I think you should pony up the money and buy ArtCam. In the mean time, it cost you NOTHING to use the ShopBot converters.

Oh, by the way, ShopBot's converters DO have a preview, it is built into the ShopBot control program. If you don't like the preview, don't run the toolbit.

Bruce Clark

Brady Watson
02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Bruce,
I couldn't agree with you more. Why spend the money on tools that we ALL already have? To me, using images to generate 3D parts on a router is more of a novelty than anything else. Anyone who has done extensive 3D work knows that images are very poor foundations for making 3D items that look good without a ton of retouching. The SB tools are as good as any other. If you really want to get into 3D, buy a program that is both suited create 3D and machine it. In this case, the winner hands down is ArtCAM ~ which is used by the majority of coin mints, by the way, and ALL of the Shopbotters doing high-end 3D parts and motifs.

Daniel,
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know of any other vendor, software or otherwise, who gets on here and touts their product as much as you do. While VS3D has some good features, it has a horrible interface and is not easy to use. It is NOT in the same league as ArtCAM. My feeling is, your program should sell itself. Fellow Shopbotters should be getting on here telling us how great it is, not you. I don't see Delcam on here selling MillWizard, Insignia or ArtCAM because the products sell on their own.

-Brady

daniel_carr
02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Brady wrote:

>>>
Why spend the money on tools that we ALL already have? To me, using images to generate 3D parts on a router is more of a novelty than anything else.
<<<
No two tools are alike. Some are a lot more useful than others for certain tasks. Just because something is free, cheap, or expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best tool for the job. Image carving may be a novelty to you, but it is serious business to others.

>>>
Anyone who has done extensive 3D work knows that images are very poor foundations for making 3D items that look good without a ton of retouching.
<<<
That is true for some images. But it is not true for all images. And my point in my previous post was that some programs have the tools to correct the image deficiencies and some programs do not.

>>>
If you really want to get into 3D, buy a program that is both suited create 3D and machine it. In this case, the winner hands down is ArtCAM ~ which is used by the majority of coin mints, by the way, and ALL of the Shopbotters doing high-end 3D parts and motifs.
<<<
Some day I would like to have a one-on-one challenge with ArtCAM to see which program produces the best finished parts under different conditions.

A limited number of private mints use ArtCAM, (and one is currently using VS3D), but it is FAR from the majority. I'm sure there are some ShopBots out there cutting high-end 3D parts that were not designed in ArtCAM.

>>>
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know of any other vendor, software or otherwise, who gets on here and touts their product as much as you do.
<<<
I've probably participated in five or six threads here in the last six months (I haven't been counting). But yes, I have been touting VS3D here. Perhaps a bit too much.

>>>
VS3D ... has a horrible interface and is not easy to use. It is NOT in the same league as ArtCAM.
<<<
Well, that is not what my customers tell me.

>>>
My feeling is, your program should sell itself. Fellow Shopbotters should be getting on here telling us how great it is, not you. I don't see Delcam on here selling MillWizard, Insignia or ArtCAM because the products sell on their own.
<<<
Had my request to make a presentation at last year's Jamboree not been denied, I would probably have several more ShopBot users as customers (and forum posters) at this point.

I do have to admit that ShopBot has been very gracious in allowing me to post here about my product (which competes with other software distributed by ShopBot). So I say "thank you ShopBot" for the openness allowed on this forum.

I appreciate and understand your point of view. VS3D is what I know, so that is what I have talked about. I guess if I can't talk about VS3D then that leaves me with little else to say. So this will be my last post at this forum. Good luck to all the ShopBot community !

PS:
If anyone wishes to discuss software issues via email, I would be happy to do so. Designs Computed will contine working to improve VS3D for ShopBots and other machines.

mikejohn
02-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Isn't the techniques sort after here ideal for back lit lithophanes, where you are looking at a smooth surface until the light comes on when, voila, a beautiful picture of your loved ones?
.............Mike

paco
02-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Daniel,
reading you is as interesting and valuable as any other forum participants. You sure promote your product but I believe there is nothing wrong about that!? You did'nt only promoted VS3D but often include some quite interesting tips and hints related to the discussion; and I like that attitude! I have tryed and tested VS3D (with a 30 days full usage licence) and think that there is a good potential. It is low priced and the support from Daniel was fast and again included tips and hints to achieve the wanted results. VS3D can't be compared with other softwares because it simply is'nt the same... I did'nt stop my choice on a "3D" software yet as I don't have enought "3D" buisness but I will sure keep the link to VS3D handy!

Now; would the TSB forum be better with less participants?... or is it the mass of opinions, suggestions and point of views that make it so FULL of valuables informations to choose from?!

kaaboom_99
02-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Paco, you are correct!
I am going to go to bat for Daniel here. I have downloaded demos of Artcam, VS3D, and others. I have been trying to get the feel for various softwares before purchasing them. I had intentions of trying ProfileLab, but I wasn't able to get a demo. I can appreciate the demos for this reason. MONEY!!! My workshop consists of my 2 1/2 car garage that must house my PRT96, all my woodworking tools, my gardening tools, my electrical tools (I am an electrician by day, woodworker by night) camping gear, etc., etc. I don't have a BIG shop yet! That is what the extra income from the PRT is suppose to be for. I don't have a lot of extra $$$ for software. I can appreciate an individual who is able to create a piece of software that will perform comparably to a high $$ software for a fraction of the price.
Now having said this so far, last week I had a customer come to me and ask about "3D" Plaques. I told him what the software would cost - Artcam - and he walked away. A day later, I found out about VS3D, downloaded the demo, called the customer back to show him the results on screen, He is purchasing VS3D for my company to cut parts for him. This is literally work I would not have got had it not been for VS3D!
Daniel is providing a spot on the market where some us in the little leagues can do some impressive work and still keep some of the money we make doing it, instead of paying for software.
I am not knocking Artcam. It is great software. But it is the same reason we all don't drive Ferrari, Hummers, Porsche. We would like one, but $ is a factor.
I have rattled on enough. Feel free to move this message to the thread it belongs in.
Thanks for listening.

garyb
02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!
I was going to stay out of this but...........

Daniel, I have to agree with Brady that you have over touted your product here on the forum. After reading some postings, I myself have just expected you to follow with a post of your product, and sure enough!
I mean if everyone advertised their wares as you have it would look like ebay around here.

I say to you don't let a little constructive criticism stop you from posting. Instead start a thread that relates to using the shopbot and interacting with the software, tips and tricks type thread. The Vector thread is still here yet Shopbot no longer handles it. You do own a shopbot don't you?

I have tried your software, but it wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. I'm not going to get into issue's of my dislikes but it was just not the software I was looking for, then again alot of software I tried fell into the same category.

Paco, I agree with a most of your comments except for promoting your own product on a company's forum where your product goes head to head with some of theirs. This to me is rude and shows bad business sense, but then I'm from the old school of hand shakes.

Perry, I'm curious how you downloaded Artcam, even a demo use requires a dongle. I suspect it can be tough to get demo's of the upper end software when your not a licenced full time shop. Software no matter what the price is just another shop tool like a bandsaw, moulder or shopbot, we as business operators have to figure how long it will take to paid for itself etc etc we never tell a customer that it will cost him "X" of $'s for us to buy the equipment to do his job, quickest way to lose customers and quite often get a bad rep.
In that situation I believe I would have contracted someone to do the cut file for you, added it into the cost of the job and showed your customer you could perform not turn them away with negativity then have to chase them up and say you found a cheaper tool to do the job with. Needless to say you could have gotten the job without purchasing additional software until such time that it become economical for your business.
After all this is just my ideals from owning and operating a profitable business for some 30 years now.

gerald_d
02-05-2005, 02:36 AM
I also want to bat for Daniel, and any other vendors who want to promote their products in a respectful way. We are adult enough to judge when we are being snowed by sales talk, and I for one appreciate listening to someone that really knows their product.

May I suggest that we have a Topic on the front page of this board for "outside" or "third-party" products (such as software, paint, adhesives, materials, bits, tools) where shameless self-promotion is encouraged?

billp
02-05-2005, 07:48 AM
This sounds like a good idea Gerald. Obviously there are "outside" vendors and products that will help all of us in our work, and if we choose to put on blinders and pretend they don't exist we run the risk of becoming "inbred",( not to mention losing touch with the latest/greatest options). I remember waaaay back when Artcam was an outside vendor....
A separate Forum category gives everyone the option of self censorship; if you have no interest in such items, don't go there...

dirk
02-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I for one enjoyed Daniel's Post. I disagree that software is like another shop tool. If you buy a table saw you pretty much know what it can do. I've only bought 1 table saw. When you buy software it's a shot in the dark. I have spent thousands expecting a software package to do what I needed, and it has always fell short. No matter how much research I have done before purchase I always get disappointed. Until you have bought it and used it can you actually expense the cost. Otherwise it's just research and development.
The forum is a great resource of info. Especially software in dealing with shopbot. I feel we need to include vendors in our discussions. I guess building a section for them would be better than not having them. I would rather let them join in on the specific topic to stay on the train of thought. It doesn’t take too much to skip to the next post if I'm not interested. Maybe we just need some ground rules, and if that’s not followed than that vendor would be not permitted to post. I don't think that Daniel exceeded the limits as to selling, as I feel he was sharing his expertise on his software.

mikejohn
02-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Although I agree with most of the recent above, I feel there are a couple of things to be considered.
Dave says I have spent thousands expecting a software package to do what I needed, and it has always fell short.
Well, a month after I first started working with AutoCad, Corel Draw and Photoshop, I thought I had been robbed. Now, years down the line, I can make these programs sing almost any tune.
We have heard countless times people blaming the software, in this Forum frequently. The learning curve is always there, and often, with the more sophisticated software, pretty steep.
So if your going to promote a product here, software or something else, be prepared for unjustified criticism at times from those blaming the tools, and not the workman.
.......Mike

Brady Watson
02-05-2005, 01:21 PM
My feeling is, this is the ShopBot Forum. "A forum for ShopBot® owners to exchange ideas and information"

This is not Yahoo Groups, Usenet or a place for free advertising. I want my fellow botters to tell me the scoop on software, hardware, materials etc. I don't think that it is right for any company besides Shopbot to be promoting ANYTHING on here, aside from maybe a 'Public Release' introductory post to get the word out. I also think it is in bad taste to suggest that your software can do this or that, when we ALREADY have a lot of the capability in our software to begin with. It's nice to know there are alternatives, but I'd like to hear that from those who A) OWN a ShopBot and B) Use the product in question.

When I bought my ShopBot I PAID for the the privledge of having a forum like this and so did the majority of you out there. I'd like to keep it free and clear of vendors who post with motives of selling their product.

If you are on here, then you have Google, Yahoo etc etc at your fingertips. Find your own software and products. When you have used them on your Bot, post on here and tell us about it. Thumbs up or thumbs down. THAT is valuable information from a 'family' member that you can trust. Chances are if it worked on your Bot, it'll work on mine.

Let's not devalue the importance of keeping vendors out of the forum. If it's a good product, it'll sell itself and there will be streams of posts about how great it is. This is the ONLY way to get an unbiased evaluation of a product that works for SHOPBOT users.

-Brady

dirk
02-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Mike

mikejohn
02-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Dirk
I agree absolutely in one thing you say.
I will often move a file betwwen Autocad, then to Coraldraw, then to Photoshop, then back to coral draw to get the result I need (not CNC stuff)
I wasnt being personal about your post, it just pointed me toward my particular comment.
In my previous life, we had products that cost huge amounts, and never worked, for anyone.
I have yet to get to grips with rhino. Its all gobble de gook to me at the moment!!

Brady
What if some guy has programmed something really new thats ideal for shopBot users. Don't we at least want the chance to hear about it from the horses mouth? In this world of ever increasing competitivity I would like to know about any possibility of something new.
As for paying for this Forum, I would guess the cost are set as much against prospective sales by shopBot, as by anything else. I, and I suspect many others, chose a ShopBot because of what we found on this Forum whilst making our mind up.
I'm also sure if vendors become a problem here, the forum moderator is quite capable of dealing with it.
Someone, somewhere, I'm sure, once said 'knowledge is power"

.......Mike

gerald_d
02-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Allowing vendors onto the Forum is far greater advertising for ShopBot than keeping them away. One of ShopBot's greatest selling points is the open community.

bleeth
02-05-2005, 04:08 PM
We have had recently on the forum info from vendors on material handleing carts, design files, door programs, vacuum systems, and others as well as Daniel. I have never been offended by someone dicussing their own products or talents as they pertain to shop-bot. Indeed, at times that may be the only way to learn about them as the search engines become more advertiser oriented. Also, although one may not be actively seeking a product, learning about a new product may give one a new idea for tool usage.
Dave

beacon14
02-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I have to weigh in on Daniel's side. I found his posts, while typically self-promoting, were usually relevant to the thread and often informative. There is a fine line I suppose between participation and outright advertisement, but I think Daniel's posts reflected a respect for the forum and its participants. You are within your rights to challenge any of his claims, and hopefully there are other users of his software who can contribute to the discussion.
I agree with the idea that we have more to lose by shutting out the rest of the world than by allowing unsolicited endorsements. I think most of us are capable of sorting through the sales pitches and other unnecessary posts, and looking for the nuggets.

cnc_works
02-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and value information of all kinds. I enjoy learning about new software and what it can do as much as anyone and I would not like to see the forum censored to eliminate it. However, in regards to Daniel's posts, it just felt to me that his primary motive was plainly to tout his software and little else. Compared to Fred Smith, the seller of Vector, for instance, who actively participates with good information, support and guidance, often not even related to Vector, in many forums along with "touting" his software. Bottom line for me, if Daniel's sales posts were only a part of his participation in the forum they would be more tolerable.

Donn

jsfrost
03-07-2005, 02:14 PM
The following is a process I am using when working with the Tiff converter. Consider this a work in progress, not a final solution.

Planning the conversion

The detail in a typical photo far exceeds the drawing capablility of practical bit sizes; eventually the photo needs resizing to match the bit. Smaller bits will cut more detail, at the expense of much longer cut time and higher risk of breakage. My present experiments use a 7 degree tapered bit with 1/32 tip. Running the converter with pixel sizes smaller than the cutting bit adds little detail but will smooth and reduce raster line telegraphing. For a 1/32 bit, 1/64 machined pixel size (64 DPI) is arguably a reasonable compromise.

Editing the photo

Some photos work well, most do not. Slight to remarkable improvement of the routed picture can be achieved by careful photo editing (best done before resizing.). Convert the original photo to 255 level grayscale at the original resolution. Edit the photo as desired to enhance the final dark is deep effect. I am having increasing success with this, and will post details after I polish the process. Unless the background is important to your project, edit it to a solid color. Use black for a raised relief.

Preparation for Tiff conversion.

Resize the picture to the final cut size without resampleing. This keeps all the original picture detail and adjusts the DPI for the desired length and width. Next, enable resampling, but not resizing and change the DPI setting. As a guide, possibly 64 DPI if cutting with 1/32 bit. Save as Tiff in the SBPARTS directory. Run the Tiff converter.

Converting the file.

At the appropriate prompts, set the pixel size to the reciprocal of the DPI selected for the final file. Small rounding is OK, say .016 for 1/64, but rounding will slightly change the finished part size. Set the white depth and black depth such that the cut will not be deeper than the bit will handle. The converter wants negative numbers to cut down. For a 1/32 bit, I presently cut to minus .050.

Machining the converted file.

Mount your stock and Zero as usual. Run the XXX.SBT results of the conversion. I am presently using X and Y speeds of 1.7 IPS to a .050 depth. After one pass, the finished carving will usually not achieve the desired effect but running much deeper will likely break the bit! Run the file again with the Z multiplier at 2. Repeat with increasing Z multiplier until the final depth is achieved. My settings take 5 passes for a quarter inch relief.

Cleanup

Remove the work from the SB, and very lightly sand the raster lines. Avoid smoothing out detail A ball end Dremel tool with a light touch works in deeper areas. 150 or 200 sandpaper can be carefully used on flatter areas. Stain the entire piece. After wipeing the excess stain. I polish with a 1000 grit Aberlon pad on my rotary sander to lighten the high points without removing detail.

Jim Frost

jsfrost
03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
There are at least two different goals possible with the Tiff converter: Making a laser style picture, and making a relief. My method attempts the later. Here's a few pictures to clarify. My original pix:

After editing. As you can see in the final, the left eye can still use some work, and the nostrals are a bit dark/deep.

Here's the cut and finished piece, roughly 5x7 inches.

bruce_clark
03-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Mr. Frost,

Before you spend too much time on the Tif2SBP program, ask ShopBot for the new 'Image to SBP' converter. The new program is WAY better than the tiff converter AND it has MANY advantages. Mainly that is no longer ties the image size to output size. Second, there are 6 (8 actually) different machining strategies instead of one. Oh yea, the most important one. It now works with BMP (best results) and JPEG files.

I realize that is has been a long time comming, but I promise, it has been worth the wait!

Again, ask ShopBot for the new converter.

Bruce Clark

jsfrost
03-16-2005, 10:29 AM
FOr other's interested in the new converter, 3.4.1 was just posted. It should be there.

Jim

krfitz
03-16-2005, 10:43 PM
This is just for the Alpha. Or am I missing something? Is the converter available for the PRT machines?

-Kevin

sales@fretworks.co.uk
03-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Kevin

I understand that a PRT version will be available soon, however you can use the PRTAlpha 3.4 on a design only PC and then use the cutting file on a PRT Shopbot.

Paul

Support
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
ShopBot Control Software 3.4.1 now available.

3.4.1.PRTalpha version (http://www.askshopbot.com/setup_sb3_4_1_PRTalpha.exe)

3.4.1PRT version (http://www.askshopbot.com/setup_sb3_4_1_PRT.exe)

phil_o
03-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Is the BMP photo conversion software on the 3.4.1 Control Software?

krfitz
03-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I get an error message when I click on the prt version link. The alpha link works fine.

Support
03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Link should be OK now (And most, if not all, of the images scattered around the website should be back instead of ugly red x's.) BMP photo conversion is a File Converter - F C.