PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or ACP?

jsfrost
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I have had Artcam Pro version 8 for several years now, but the learning curve for a part timer is significant. I am finally using the more advanced 3d features with some confidance.

Early on, ACP seemed to ocasionally perform random deviations from expected behavior, but I was never sure the problem was not operator error. Often it was.

Now the program usually behaves in an appropriate way to a specific request, except sometimes. For example I select a closed vector and attempt to increase height by .01 inch. Mostly it works, ocasionally totally unrelated 3D areas develope jaggies. I have seen a "zero rest" clear areas outside a selected vector as expected, and also rescale the 3D within the vector as unexpected. There are numerous other ocasional anomolies. With frequent saves it's workable, but projects take more time than they should.

Anyone else seen similar?

Brady Watson
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Jim,
It takes a while to understand the relationship between speed, quality and workability in Pro - as it relates to model resolution. If reliefs appear jagged, try increasing the model resolution to something like 2000 points on the small side. Your computer has a lot to do with expected performance as the resolution increases. Additionally, when you setup a model space, don't make it 48X96", unless of course your part(s) is that large. The larger the area, the more each 3D pixel (voxel) needs to be stretched, and the lower the ultimate model resolution will be.

You may find it beneficial to save out the relief (as a RLF) and bring it back in by pasting (using the 'Paste Clipart' dialog box) - and scale up the entire RLF (before pasting) by selecting the RLF's vector outline & use the Transform tool, just like you would any other 2D shape. As a side note, DO NOT create toolpaths while you are working on a relief. It will create confusion for you since it moves the position of the relief within the Z plane to accomodate material thickness. Be sure that the model is positioned at 0 in the Z by deleting all toolpaths, deleting the material, and go to the Model menu. Select 'Set Position' and change any negative values for the Z axis to 0. Then save out the RLF. This will remedy those occasions where you work on a RLF for hours or days, preview toolpaths and try to bring the RLF back in by pasting - only to find that the RLF is sitting below the zero plane of the model.

There's no doubt that it takes a while to learn ANY program that generates 3D. It's my aspiration to create a complete series of training videos on Pro at some point...but don't ask me to give you a deadline on that yet!

-B