PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Speed RPM control

harryball
07-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I ordered and installed the spindle speed control kit from ShopBot on my PRT Alpha. SWEET! Very simple installation and setup. Now I can set and alter the speed from the PC as well as inside of sbp files.

If you've been wondering if this is a worth while upgrade, if it works well, if it is useful... wonder no more. Go order one.

One of my run files I've been compromised at 15k RPM and 4 ips because I cut some detailed bat profiles along with my large parts. The bats really are cutting around 2 ips due to the ramping but I can run at 6 ips on the large parts if I could get to 18k RPM. If I try to run at 18k and cut the bats I get burning.

No more... I can now cut the bats at 12k without fear of burning and jump to 18k and 6ips for the large parts. Very sweet.

/RB

Gary Campbell
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Robert...
Thanks for the heads up... its on the list.

Check your email

Gary

beacon14
07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
dialing Shopbot.....

knight_toolworks
07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
anyyone have the right shopbot post processsor for vcarve? it was not installed for me. I want to but the speed control soon but I need that file first.

Gary Campbell
07-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Steve...
Download from ShopBot here: http://www.shopbottools.com/drivers.htm if you dont get them email me.
Gary

harryball
07-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I added the speed control version PP to my collection downloaded from SB. To be honest, I'm not sure how often I'll use it that way. I have custom PP's like my "Called File" format. It does not include MS commands or jogs home. It relys on the calling file to set things up first.

I've modified my control files that call my cut files with options (i.e. if I want bats or not, if I want lettering etc...) and I set the RPM's just before the calls. Otherwise, it makes a great way to just type in the RPM's I want and run the file.

Not to say I won't use the speed control PP, I'm sure I will find uses for it. I'm just thrilled right now to be able to enter 15000 and BAM, done.

I need to get my warm up routine written now.

/RB

srwtlc
07-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Here's one I use. Set as a custom cut # (C7 in my case).

MSGBOX(Ready to warm up the spindle?,4,Spindle Warm-Up)
If &msganswer = NO Then END

TR,9000
PAUSE 2
SO,1,1 'Spindle on
PAUSE 120
TR,13500
PAUSE 120
TR,18000
PAUSE 120
SO,1,0 'Spindle Off

MSGBOX(Spindle is now warmed up and ready to use,64,Spindle Ready)

END

harryball
07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Did I mention how great this speed controller is? Not to mention cool?

The only thing I've run into so far, it would be nice to have a "lock" on the RPM's so I could keep the TR commands from being honored. I broke my last single flute bit and had to run a series of jobs with a 2 flute. Not a big deal to overcome but a toggle with "lock RPMs" would have been nice.

/RB

myxpykalix
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
harry, you mention writing a warm up routine. What would really be nice is to be able to use one of those things on your keychain, a remote car starter, to sit at the coffee table and hit a button to start it while you're having breakfast.
BTW, my brother and Invented one of those things back in the early 70's while in high school. The research came to a "screaching" halt when we tried it one day hooking it up to his 58 ford with a 4 speed transmission (having left it in gear). It wasn't fun having to rebuild the backporch from scratch....aaah to be a kid again!