PDA

View Full Version : 1 to 1 scale of Illustrator files

johnny
09-18-2003, 08:11 PM
I've had this problem in the past and never resovled it. But when I export a file from Rhino as an Adobe Illustrator file, then import it to Part Wizard, the scale is not 1:1. What is wrong? Also, is there a command to center your objects within the selected material size?

Thanks
Johnny

robtown@mindspring.com
09-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Johnny,
How far off are the sizes?

I had a similar problem using postcript files and Alphacam to output files to our KOMO.

In my case the parts came out to be 72 times bigger. I'd be happy to share my findings and workaround if this is similar to what you are experiencing.

R

johnny
09-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Frank over at SB read me off some very specific instructions for saving the Illustrator files for a different Delcam product. This requires that I do my export from Rhino, then I have to open in Illustrator and resave with all the required parameters within Illustrator. After that, worked perfectly.

-Johnny

m
09-21-2003, 03:01 AM
hmm...could you be more specific?
what are these parameters?!?!
i am using illustrator and would like to know how to get my files into artcam at the right size.

johnny
09-21-2003, 08:47 PM
If I remember right;
save as illustrator EPS
compatibility = 3
preview = none
options = postscript level 1

Basically the lowest form of an AI EPS you can save.

Hope this helps

Johnny

noah@noahsart.co.nz
09-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Rob
If I remember rightly, there are 72 points to an inch (in printer's language.) Might be a clue to a setting you are overlooking.

Simon

rob
09-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi Simon,
You are correct. Also 72 dpi is screen resolution on a conputer screen and that has a bearing on the output of a postscript file (which an .ai file is, by the way).

Alphacam reads units. Not in inches, not in mm's, units. Therefore for every inch in an .ai file, Alphacam would read 72 units.

I just scale my drawing down to 1.3888% of the orginal size before generating my postscript file and it comes out correct in Alphacam.

I did an export out of Rhino to see what was going on, it came out to about 66% of the original size. So it's a different problem...