PDA

View Full Version : Version 3.4.20 - best version yet!

richards
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I loaded version 3.4.20 today and ran some standard tests consisting of circles, x-axis lines, y-axis lines and 45-degree lines at speeds ranging from 1-ips to 6-ips. The cuts were all made in MDF with a 3/8-inch spiral down cut cutter.

There was almost NO CHATTER! For the first time since buying the Alpha, the cuts looked as clean and crisp as any that I've seen made on the 'big iron' machines. The VR and VU settings were factory default values.

Great software Shopbot!

gene
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Mike,
Do you have to remove the control software that you using before installing the new software ?
I have had my bot about 1.5 yrs and the software is preety reliable. Im am wondering if i should leave good enough alone or upgrade . compared to some of the stories i read on the forum my bot has been great . the only mistakes it makes are opperator errors. Is it worth chancing this or not .? Gene

richards
04-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Normally, I just run the EXE file that I download from Shopbot and let it do everything for me. Sometimes, the install tells me to undate the control-box software. But doing that is very simple. Just follow the instructions. (Sorry, but I'm at a Linux computer, so I can't open the software and write a check-list.)

Typically, I wait a week or so after a new update appears on the website, just in case there are some undiscovered bugs that are only found after the revision is released. This time (3.4.20 and 3.4.21), since I was already in the middle of checking out the entire machine, I decided to load the new software as soon as I noticed that it was available.

To tell you the truth, most of the revisions that I've loaded have only had subtle changes; however, each little change has improved the operation of the machine. Cumulatively, the changes have amounted to great improvements. I would suggest that you install every update as it comes along. whether you do it the minute that it's available of a few days later is up to you.

mikejohn
04-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I am running one of the "new" PRT96's with DOS on a relatively old computer. It runs fine.
Would I expect significant advantages if I upgraded the computer to use 3.4.21?
Any suggestions on the minimum specs for the computer?
Thanks

................Mike

gerald_d
04-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Mike, I've tried on 4 occasions over the years to go from DOS to Windows and every time something cropped up which made us go back to the reliable DOS. The metric versions of the SB software are sadly the poor cousins of the inch versions. The fact that metric circles cut at half the speed of squares until recently has totally thrown any interest in pursuing further SB "upgrades". I will stick with the current (manageable) DOS system until I replace the controller altogether.

Min specs for Win controller PC? Huge, of course.

bob_lofthouse
04-10-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm amazed by the difference in the performance of my machine after changing from 3.4.16 to 3.4.21

Very smooth and speed has increased.... I love the ctrl r function for repeating.

slendon
04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Anyone know why V21 sometimes pauses when running a part file and flags a message re turning spindle on, and then sometimes doesn't...

Can anyone run this test to see if it's me or the software:

Run as large a circle as you can using the CC command and air cut at your highest speed...I'm getting huge jerks and shudders at quadrant changes...which do settle down as speed is reduced. I have been having chatter trouble with circle cuts and am searching for cause..I have searched and applied all other tips from the forum re chatter...apart from circle cuts all others are really good. Off topic but interesting...I had a lot of problems cutting hard cherry the cut path veering off badly and deep z plunges....problem steadily got worse..I changed speeds and feeds and put in a new collet as well(3hp spindle)still no good..while waiting for help from shopbot I researched the forum and took up a tip to marker pen the bit in the collet to see if it was moving...and sure enough somehow the bit (an 8mm two flute straight endmill) was pulling out of the (new) collet....In the end I binned the bit and reused the 'old' collet with new same type bit and all is happiness.

slendon
04-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone know why V21 sometimes pauses when running a part file and flags a message re turning spindle on, and then sometimes doesn't...

Can anyone run this test to see if it's me or the software:

Run as large a circle as you can using the CC command and air cut at your highest speed...I'm getting huge jerks and shudders at quadrant changes...which do settle down as speed is reduced. I have been having chatter trouble with circle cuts and am searching for cause..I have searched and applied all other tips from the forum re chatter...apart from circle cuts all others are really good.

Off topic but interesting...I had a lot of problems cutting hard cherry the cut path veering off badly and deep z plunges....problem steadily got worse..I changed speeds and feeds and put in a new collet as well(3hp spindle)still no good..while waiting for help from shopbot I researched the forum and took up a tip to marker pen the bit in the collet to see if it was moving...and sure enough somehow the bit (an 8mm two flute straight endmill) was pulling out of the (new) collet....In the end I binned the bit and reused the 'old' collet with new same type bit and all is happiness.

Steve

paco
04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
3.4.23 is now available...

slendon
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Why isn't there a posting here by shopbot everytime there is a software update?....

gerald_d
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Steve, are you running inches or millimeters?

slendon
04-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Gerald, Millimeters

robert_cheal
05-01-2006, 01:08 AM
I am currently trying to upgrade from DOS 2.21 to SB 3.4.23 on a different computer (Pentium 4 , Windows XP, etc.) and I am not sure if I have the correct Unit Values.
My 48 x 96 PRT was shipped with 30 tooth pinions on the X and Y with a unit values of 152.789. The Z axis has a 25 tooth pinion and a unit value 733.386.
From my limited time on searching in the forum I have adjusted the X and Y values by multiplying by 4 to = 611.156 and have only had time to roughly measure an air-cut with a tape measure and it seems to be close. And I currently have the Z axis still set at 733.386 and it seems to be close also. Does anyone know where I can find the official values that I need?

Also, when I use the “k” key to manually move each axis with the arrow keys it moves about ¼” at a minimum. I had been used to a small tap to the arrow key that might produce a movement of a few thousandths of an inch. It is going to be hard to reset my zero axis by over shooting the mark by about ¼” each time that I tap a key.
I am not a programming guy I get lost in a the programming variables and even with this .5 , .25, .125 , .0625 stepping stuff. I might as well be reading the discussion on Gecko drivers.

I am sure there are easy answers for my current hurdles but right now they escape me. I would be grateful for any help to steer me in the right direction. I will say that I am excited to upgrade I can see many new features that will make it more than worth it.

Thanks, Robert Cheal

paco
05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi Robert!

ShopBot support directly would be a good place to go for official unit value...

In Value Display (VD command), the 8th parameter (fill-in sheet), KeyPad Fixed Distance, will allow you to set a fixed distance to move accurately as you're looking for.

dirk
05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Robert
If the unit value was correct in Dos, it would be a multiple of that number. So I would say if it's close it's right. I did a calculation and it looks that you have a 3 to 1 reducer, as the number quoted works out perfectly.

robert_cheal
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks

Hi Ho, it's off to work I go. I'll adjust the VD command and then I can make a practice cut to double check my unit values.

Thanks again,
Robert

bleeth
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Finally got the network cable run to the bot's new home, and also "upgraded" the old 98 box to an xp, downloaded the latest op sys, figured out the xy zeroing routine and while playing with it found the pendant not working. Got indicator lights but no joy in operating. I'm currently running a PRT 96 with original control box. The other problem is the usual keys to increase speed on the fly aren't working. Any ideas?

Dave

bill.young
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Dave,

Take a look in the VD command and see what the "Keypad Remote" is set for....by default it's set for a mouse but you can change it to the pendant.

Don't have a clue about why you can't change the speeds on the fly with the keyboard...the < and > keys should do it. Might be worth trying another keyboard just to rule out a funky keyboard.

Bill

Brady Watson
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
It's actually <shift> + < or > to change speeds on the fly...Keep in mind that ramping is not changed, so if you adust more than .5 IPS, you would be better off hitting the spacebar and insert command ~ MS for move speed. This will purge the stack and recalculate ramping for the new speeds.

-B

bill.young
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
oops...forgot to mention the shift key! Thanks for picking that up Brady.

gerald_d
06-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Don't confuse the "<" and ">" keys with the cursor arrow keys. They are talking of the shifted (upper-case) keys between the "M" and the "?" on most keyboards.

bleeth
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks Guys: I was mixing the arrows with the > & < and the VD command is what I needed.

Dave

jhicks
06-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Does this make any difference If we are running DOS 2.39 in the shop or are these changes already there as well? Guess it may be time to upgrade that old dog to windows.
Please confirm as I would love to achieve some of these benefits.