PDA

View Full Version : A note on nesting

knight_toolworks
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
something I found today I was doing these picture frames. I could eyeball it and see 6 would fit on a sheet.
but with nesting it would only get 3. I did it manually and got them. but I jsut played around thinking maybe I had too much border or some other wrong setting. but I found it was having rotation set and the wrong degree. well these were rectangle parts and I had rotation set to 90 because they needed a 90 degree turn to fit. so I set it for 90 and it would only put 3 on the sheet. playing around with the degrees anything less then 45 would work or 180 worked too.

tmerrill
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
From the "What's New" .pdf file that comes with Aspire/VCP/Partworks:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: What kind of yield should I expect from the Nest Vectors command?

While the Nest Vectors function within Aspire is designed to do as good a job as possible it is important to understand it will not always nest parts as well as an intelligent (and patient) human. The nesting in Aspire works incrementally and does not re-arrange parts it has already placed. Therefore it does not have the ability to adjust things as the parts are being fitted that a human nester might see could be more efficient.

The Nest Vectors function excels when the parts are relatively small compared to the nesting area and there are a large number of parts to nest.

If you have a relatively small number of shapes to nest or you plan to cut the same set of parts many times then it may be better to take the time to manually nest your vectors. When you use the Nest Vectors function and see some obvious places that you could do better this is a good indicator that manual placement may be better."

Hope this helps.

Tim

knight_toolworks
03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
it was not just the simple parts it was 3 sheets of different parts. it worked fine I just need to learn how to do it.