PDA

View Full Version : Logitech gamepad / Mach3

cnc_works
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Anybody here have experience with this combo? I heard good things, ordered one and now install/setup is not going as smoothly as I would like. No sense in me cluttering up the forum with details unless someone can step up.

Donn

aaasigncom
01-26-2010, 10:27 PM
SHOPBOTTERS AND MACH3 ARE 2 DIFFERENT ANIMALS
LOOK HERE http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php I RUN MACH3

cnc_works
01-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I know, Tony. Before the 4g controller there was a non-shopbot gecko based controller available which I bought for my PRT96. (Woulda waited if I had been sure that the 4g was coming out as soon as it did.) As well, I think the 4g will accept Mach3 g-code directions. So, I was just shooting in the dark hoping that there might be somebody here who had pioneered the trail before me. I'm checking and searching, no specifics yet anywhere. I'll post a query at machsupport.

Donn

srwtlc
01-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Donn,

I was never able to get mine to work well with Mach3. I could set up the key commands in the Logitech software, but couldn't get them to register with Mach3.

Scott

adrianm
01-27-2010, 03:59 AM
I used to use mine on my old Mach3 machine and now I use it on the 'bot.

It's a LOT easier to setup for use with the 'bot. On Mach3 it took me ages to get all the Mach3 KeyGrabber commands set and I never could get the joystick to work all the time.

It's easy peasy with the Logitech control software and the 'bot control software though.

For Mach3 all the info is on their forum although back when I did mine I had to follow the instructions for an XBox controller as no-one was using the WingMan. That might have changed by now though.

cnc_works
01-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, now I wish I had asked this question before purchase!

If you can't get yours to work Scott, I don't have a lot of hope. Though there are quite a few comments of people who at least say they are happily using.

Donn

eaglesplsh
01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure what kind of problems you're having, but I used a Logitech gamepad and Mach3 to run my old CNC machine (not a ShopBot) for years.

It worked great and I don't remember it being hard to setup. (I'm not trying to rub my success in your face here - just trying to give encouragement. It can be done!)

I used the KeyGrabber program and followed directions I found somewhere in the Mach support docs/videos. Sorry I can't be more specific, I set that up about 5 years ago and never had any problems with it, so I never had to play with the settings afterwards.

@ Adrian - Could you or someone else fill me in on how to set it up for use on with SB3/PRS Alpha controls? I don't think I've ever heard about that option.

cnc_works
01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I had read from one person that all they had to do was to install the Logitech software and go. Well, the only thing that worked was the native joystick plugin using the Dpad. Then I shut down Mach and restarted to find no jogging response at all from my keyboard even after I shut down the gamepad software. Took me awhile to find the backup XML file and get my system back to normal. Now I can get some button response, but absolutely nothing on the joysticks for jogging. Further research led me to keygrabber and I'm now in the process of understanding how to set it up. Thanks for letting me know that a successful end is possible, Russ.

Donn

adrianm
01-28-2010, 05:06 AM
@Russ, to get it to work with SB3 I use the Logitech Wingman control software and create a custom profile associated with the SB3 exe file.

Step through each button/stick on the Wingman and associating a keystroke with it for the associated bot function.

I've got the left hand joystick set to emulate the X and Y cursor keys in the keypad and the right hand joystick emulates PgUp and PgDn for moving the Z axis.

The direction pad is set to move in X and Y at Jog speed and the other buttons have various macros for custom cuts etc.

Lots of possibilities. I only use the keyboard to type in parameters these days.

cnc_works
01-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Well folks, thanks for all the input.

Once I narrowed down the process to just the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad II Gamepad device and the keygrabber program, everything became straightforward and easy. Ignore the gamepad software except it does print a nice map of the key layout to label so you won't forget.

The key shortcuts work pretty well flawlessly, the joysticks are just the slightest bit iffy in X and Y...a little inconsistency that doesn't keep it from functioning well enough.

I'm a happy man...jogging slow, fast, incrementally. Auto Z zero, zero X and Y and more. No more keyboard at the bot.

By the way, best price was at Newegg for $32.99 with free shipping. Even beat the eBay guys.

Donn