PDA

View Full Version : Unique too for rounded edge - create new tool type

kenakabrowncom
08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
This one has me a bit stumped... I have a project for our business that we want to apply a half round edge to hand mirrors we make.

I am going to use a Whiteside 1432 to do this.

I have figured out the hold down and clearance issues but I am stumped on how to define this tool in Partworks.

Further when I go to Z zero this bit I am a bit perplexed on how to accomodate for the fact that the bottom of the bit is 1/4" from where the cutter starts.

I have attached the profile info from Whiteside on this bit.... Hopefully someone can help me out on this...

oddcoach
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Ken
If you zero the bit to the top of the board and use 1/2 the "C" dimension for your cut depth.
In your case 1/2 inch. the bit diameter you need is the large diameter minus 2x the radius. in your case 5/8".
Next you need to put in leads in and out so the bit comes down away from the part.
Use a circular lead I would start with a 2" radius 2.5 " length check lead out and an overcut of 3".
You might need to play with these a little since i don't know the shape of your part.
Good luck hope you sell a ton of em
John

majohnson
08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Ken,

Instead of using a bullnose bit, it might be much easier using a half round bit, cutting one side at a time. There would be the additional labor of flipping the material, however I think you would be less likely to damage your cut pieces.

bcammack
08-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Do what we do for bullnose edge countertops (actually everything we do on the CNCs); perform the operation with the piece face down with Z-zero being the material's face. We use vacuum pods (Blick) to mount/hold the granite/quartz blanks and the top of the pod is Z-zero.

That way you're unaffected by any possible thickness variations in the material and get exactly the "break" between the face of the material and the edge profile you are routing.

In this scenario, the Z-zero is the lowermost part of the cutting edge as you describe and the length of the tool is calculated from that point to the nose of the spindle. It's different for us because we use ISO-40 tool holders and don't set Z-zero after initial machine setup. (we also don't work directly on the table so we can ignore that extra 1/4" of whirling metal extending below Z-zero, unless someone misplaced a pod...)

You'll probably need to very precisely measure that distance and after touching off your Z-zero normally, Z up that measurement and re-zero the Z axis.

Again, I'd recommend a jig to hold the frame face down and off the table so you can run the tool without regard to the extra tool below the cutting edge.