PDA

View Full Version : X & Y hick up

cip
10-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Has anyone had there bot running along smooth and suddenly have a split second stop and then continue like nothing happened? I call it a hick up. Really strange but creates a problem because it leaves a small indent in the edge of the item being cut. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the hick ups just at random spots. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

mikejohn
10-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Mike
What computer are you using?
I am using a slow Pentium 3, and often get small pauses whilst the computer downloads more of the file.
...............Mike

richards
10-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Try adding more memory to your computer. After upgrading my machine to 1-gig of memory, the hick-ups stopped.

dvanr
10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
My bot hiccups too. Seems to happen in both files and single move commands. I noticed it in a small file of circles being cut and then again after the file when I jogged the X and Y axis out of the way at 10"/sec. Then it really jumps.

I can understand why more memory would help files being cut by acting as a buffer. But what about single commands that take a couple of seconds to execute like a big jog?

bill.young
10-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey Mike,

What kind of ShopBot and what speeds? PRs and PRTs can lose steps and "hiccup" like that if they are run too fast.

richards
10-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Bill,

I'm using an Alpha 60-120. My 'slow' speed is 3.5 ips when I use a 1-flute cutter at 13,000 rpm and my 'normal' speed is 6.5 ips when I use a 2-flute cutter at 13,000 rpm. The moderate spindle speeds seem to keep the bearing temperature lower, i.e., 120-degrees or lower. Most files cut in 20 minutes or less.

gerald_d
10-23-2005, 12:49 PM
How many steps are in the files that have the hiccups? It will only be the larger files (V-carving signs typically) that hiccup due to memory size issues. And these hiccups are longer than "split-second". I think that different folk are talking of different things here.

paco
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd bet on the CPU or the port data communication...

Mike W.,

is this an Alpha?

Mayo
10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Are you having other windows programs running in the "background" when your bot is running? This can create problems depending on operating systems, memory, available space on hard drive. Whenever possible, on your computer running the shopbot cutting file, disable as many of the "startup" programs as possible. You can see what is running in the background of Windows XP by going to Start, Run, type in msconfig, (Click OK) and click on the Startup tab. If you have never done this before, you may be shocked when you see how many processes are running. Anything you UNcheck and prevent from running on the next start up can always be checked again to auto run the next time you boot up if you have a problem from shutting off something necessary.

Running cutting files from floppy drives can also slow things down and cause some systems to pause while retrieving more info from the floppy.

dvanr
10-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Mike Wright indicated in his profile that he runs an Alpha. Which got me to thinking that it would be useful if people put as many details of their complete system in their profile. It would make relating a problem to a system easier and might be useful for tracking any patterns in problems.

I added two new fields to my profile as a test, but they can be easily changed if someone has a better idea to track what people are using. ( Each of you would have to change your own profile to do this )