PDA

View Full Version : PRT Converting from 48x96 to 48x48?

costast
08-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone

Do to space limitations, I need to convert my 48x96 2003 PRT with a wooden table,to a 48x48 table for the time being.

When I first spoke to a rep at shop bot, he quoted me the parts that I needed and mentioned It is a "bolt on" approach, simply putting the table together, and placing the upper portion on the smaller table.

When I spoke to another rep today to follow up... it was said that I needed to modify the newer style table on my original quote (which I did not want to do)

It was unclear on what exactly needed to be done for it to work, as the person mentioned they did not experience anything like this previously. I thought that parts were always available for the PRT tables?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your help

Costas

ed_lang
08-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Since you say "for the time being" I am thinking you want to go back to the 48X96 at some later time.

All you need is shorter rails and the rack that mounts below them. I am also thinking you will build another table since you built the first one.

If you don't need to go back to the larger machine later, you could cut your rails and be done with it.... That is until you want to go back with the 96" machine.

rhfurniture
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Why not convert the bottom 4 ft into workbench/storage/planer base/drawing board/office/whatever and pretend you've got a 48?
Just a thought. (I build a horses stable in the end of my workshop once - we got on great...)
R.

costast
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I wish!
I need that space for the configuration I am planning on doing.

Ed, cant cut the rails ;)Id rather keep them until we get a bigger space

My question was why I could not simply purchase a direct table from shop bot? I have gotten two different responses from two different shop bot reps and it is very confusing.

fleinbach
08-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Costas,

Ed is right if you have a wooden table it was not supplied by Shopbot they only supply steel tables. So you would have to remove your X rails and cut your wooden table down to size. Then purchase shorter X rails from Shopbot.

I think you are getting confused with Shopbots new policy since the PRS machines came out. Before PRS you could buy a Shopbot without a table and make your own but that is not the case any longer. So maybe they are telling you they do not sell tables alone. But you don't need a table all you need are shorter X rails and those I'm fairly sure they do sell.

Towersonline
08-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Costas,

ShopBot no longer supplies the old style rails. I just upgraded a 4x4 prt to 4x8 and had to purchase a set of PRS rails. What a pain to install!!

If your interested I have a set of 4 ft rails I'll sell.

pete
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Costas - a few months ago I converted my PRT Alpha 48x48 to a 48x96 and I have a complete 48x48 table with rails available. It is powder coated in ShopBot blue and is mostly still assembled. I am located on the central California coast if you are interested in purchasing. Pete

costast
08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks for the feedback everybody. I guess I may still have some options. My biggest fear was converting back to 96 (hence the hesitation)

On the parts for sale- Definitely interested, Email sent

Im in NYC BTW.

pete
08-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Costas
My email replys to you get rejected, error is "No such User". I have tried 4 times today and get the same result. Do you have another email address? Pete

costast
08-25-2007, 09:38 AM
had a mispelling in the email client setting so sorry
(new PC)

Peter and Bill I have reached out to you both again with the correct email

Thanks again