PDA

View Full Version : New shopbot...what software should I use...if cad familiar.

kenmp1@yahoo.com
10-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I am a cabinet shop/funiture maker. buying a new shopbot.will be using it for flat panel work as well as 3-d carvings and profile cut-outs. we currently use AutoCAD 2002 2d and 3D work, I have experience with Corel,Illustrator,and other 3d modeling programs as well. My question is what software should we be using for the 3d work in shopbot. we are considering ArtCAM but it is very pricey. and will other software do the same thing and do the cam work too.

ssmith@skeeball.com
10-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Sorry no experience with the other programs but:
Just a note on the AutoCAD, If you convert with the SB program save your file as a R12 dxf file. It will save you a lot of frustration trying to get your parts to convert correctly.
Also, 0,0 on AutoCAD drawing is 0,0 on the shopbot table when converted to SB code.
Just a few things that I stumbled with when I started.

Scott

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
10-16-2003, 12:00 PM
This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.

Is there a site that compares programs such as MasterCAM vs. Gibbs vs. SurfCAM etc?

gerald_d
10-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Ken, are you Gabriel who made an identical post (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/1833.html?1066321706) to this Forum an hour earlier? First I thought that Gabriel should move over here, but now I see that this is a Corel topic only. Maybe you should join your twin brother over there rather?

billp
10-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Sheldon,
I think the only REAL comparisons you're going to get are from either Forums like Woodweb, or some of the trade magazines. Part of the problem is that these programs are used by so many different industries that I doubt anyone has narrowed down the specific tool by tool application of competitive softwares on a line item basis. I have had some good luck just going to Google and typing in a software's name. Usually in the resulting 1,345,876,098,682 pages that follow will be someone's critique of each program, and on rare occasions a side by side feature list. Obviously the worst place to look is on the web page of the company which writes the software, since they have tunnel vision with sales at the other end of the tunnel.....