PDA

View Full Version : Control Box Connection Problem after XP SP2

itoolfred
10-12-2004, 07:47 PM
I was running along just fine until I installed XP service pack 2 and now on some of the more complex files such as v-carving, I get the message that I need to reconnect to the control box right in the middle of the cut. I am using the Windows software v 3.3.2. There is nothing else running on the machine. Dell Pentium 2.2 ghz with no virus software on anything else running. Machine is dedicated solely to the bot. Anyone else having the same problems?

itoolfred
10-12-2004, 07:48 PM
PS. I tried slowing down the com port but did not work. Also, it is very consistant. Happens in the exact same spot on some files. Seems like the more complex the file is, the more likely for the 'disconnect'.
Thanks,
Fred

paco
10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Look for automatic services or such within XP config... many features of XP start in the back ground without you notice it... I have SP2 installed and don't have any problem... for now!? Look carefully...

fleinbach
10-12-2004, 08:53 PM
XP SP2 is loaded with problems for many programs. When I loaded it I had to reconfigure several programs affected by it. It removed keys from some and dissabled my dongle on my main drawing program Chief Architech. I'm not sure why you would install it on a computor dedicated to the shopbot. Most everyting added to MS service packs are related to security. My dedicated computer for the shopbot has minimal options installed in XP and I never add updates since it is not attached to the internet. Since it's only porpose is to run the shopbot I do not install anything except shopbot updates, this minimizes the risk of corruption creating problems.

I reload windows in all my computers routinely every 6 months. Windows will acctualy create it's own corruption over time just running one program.

paco
10-12-2004, 10:17 PM
It might be too late but Frank is right; you don't need any update on a computer that's not connect to internet. SP2 will be better installed and running on a newly installed/configure computer... then you install the rest after. I think you may consider re-installing everything since trying to fix windows problems are a endless pain...

"I reload windows in all my computers routinely every 6 months. Windows will acctualy create it's own corruption over time just running one program."
You got that right too Frank! I thought I was alone to do this!?!?!

srwtlc
10-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Did you create a restore point? If so, you could possibly restore it to a point before SP2.

Brady Watson
10-13-2004, 10:00 AM
You can just go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SP2...or any other SP you think is causing a problem.

-Brady

simon
10-13-2004, 02:58 PM
This looks like an appropriate time to ask Ted and the team at shopbot to look into doing shopbot for the Macintosh.
These insane problems of unpredictability and instability simply are not an issue.

fleinbach
10-13-2004, 04:05 PM
That's not what I am told by my friend who is a graphics artist working with both the Mac and PC equally. He said don't let anyone kid you Mac's have problems too. He said most Mac users are a loyal bunch and love to point out they don't have the problems users of PC's running MS Windows. Then you always have the Linux group claiming they are better then MS windows.

The biggest problem with Windows is internet related security problems.

itoolfred
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I just updated the software to 3.3.4 and this did the fix. Thank you shopbot. I had a file that would reproduce the problem every time, and 3.3.4 breezed right past the disconnect spot. Also, I installed the SP2 on XP because I need the internet connection on that machine as I have some software I wrote that pulls some of the order data from an XML feed on a web site for cutting information.

dingwall
02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
"I reload windows in all my computers routinely every 6 months. Windows will acctualy create it's own corruption over time just running one program. "

Frank, when you reload windows, do you just re-install windows right overtop, or do you re-format the drive and re-install all your programs too?

richards
02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
My rule of thumb is to reformat the disk if a virus is present and then install everything from scratch. Keep those orignal program CDs!

If the corruption is NOT caused by a virus (for example, a computer that is neither on a network nor ever been used to run anything except programs from "reliable" sources), I just re-install Windows.

Last week I spent the week in Boise, Idaho migrating a database for one of my computer related customers. The job took an extra two days because three of the seven new DELL computers already had been infected. People in the company had used the new computers to explore the Internet and to read personal email - both actions were prohibited by the company. The only recourse was to wipe the disks and start over (which required a personal phone call to someone at Microsoft (with security consultants in India) to verify that we were not "pirating" Microsoft software. The solution to keep the problem from happening again was to remove all DNS addresses from all network settings on all computers that were not allowed Internet access. In my own business and home, I only allow connection to the Internet via a Linux computer.

-Mike

fleinbach
02-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Actually I made an image file using Acronis True Image. I used to reformat before installing a fresh copy of Windows but this is no longer nessacary. For the past year I reinstall from an image file I created using Acronis True Image. If you’re not familiar with what an image file is I will try explaining though you can probably search the net for a more detailed description. An image file of a hard drive is made at the track and sector level. This is an exact replica of the hard drive at the time the image is created.

Next I will describe my method for obtaining a cleaned up copy of Windows and all the programs you would normally use. And a way to get back up and running in a very short time should you have a major failure or virus attack.

First do a new install of Windows formatting the hard drive installing only the features you want or need. I select custom install and uncheck things like games. Make an image of this. This is not your main image but a way to have a clean copy of Windows on hand should you mess something up on the next steps or decide you want to eliminate some program in the future
Next install all programs you intend to use.
Now go through Windows and all your programs and set all your personal settings including installing all Windows updates. It may be best to spend some time making a list of all the settings you require. This is the hard part I believe in the first 6 months I went through this procedure several times because I missed many settings the first time.

Once you have everything the way you want it make an Image. Now when the unexpected happens just reload the image file and in less then 10 minutes you will be right back to a fresh copy of Windows and all your programs.

The only other thing you will need to do provided your computer is still bootable is to make a copy of emails and your favorites folder these revert to the ones available when you made the original image file.

There is one other important step to remember. Keep all your data files on another drive safe from your operating system. Many people make the mistake of storing data on the main operating drive usually C: drive. The most common crash is the operating system on the main drive taking the drive and all data with it. Years ago I lost years of my business data files when the hard drive crashed. The first time I never recovered them, the second time I used a program to recover them from the crashed drive but it was time consuming. I have had several major crashes over the past 2 years and have not lost one data file kept on my file server.

I know this was long but actually I would have liked to explain more detail.