PDA

View Full Version : Something to watch out for in nesting with vcarve.

knight_toolworks
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
this was the first time I nested anything and a lesson learned. I selected a outside vector and one inside the outside piece. both of these were to be cut outside of the line. well vcarve changes the inside one to a inside cut.
and it does it the opposite way if selecting a inside cut. so if you do nesting be sure to make separate toolpaths if your cutting one piece inside another.

Brian Moran
02-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Steve,
This is the correct behaviour when machining nested vectors!

Unfortunately the software cannot guess what you are thinking. If you are cutting out a letter 'O' or a picture frame, or almost any other shape with nested vectors you would be most upset if we cut on the outside of both vectors!

VCarve Pro automatically adjusts the cutting side for the nesting of the vectors as this is correct in almost all cases for people working with geometry that describes the actual finished part. If you have vectors nested inside each other that do not follow this convention, the vectors arte NOT representing the final size of the finished part and you need to be more careful in how you cut them.

Brian

knight_toolworks
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
most of the time what it it did would be what I wanted. but when nesting you may have several parts inside another. Like I said it was the first time I had nested anything so a lesson learned.